cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NTE5 master phone socket

N/A

NTE5 master phone socket

I currently have my phone connected to an old style white small square BT box. I do not have one of the newer NTE5 master sockets useful for connecting directly to as is often required for testing etc.

My existing socket was modifed / installed by BT over 10 years when the line between the house and pole was replaced due to noise.

Question is would I benefit from a new NTE5 master socket, possibly improving my downstream attenuation figure (currently around 39dB) and allowing me to gain better direct connections to the master socket. Is it possible to get BT to replace my current socket with the newer type, would there be a charge and is there any benefit in me doing this?
Thanks
4 REPLIES
N/A

NTE5 master phone socket

Hi,

As far as I recall, there is no advantage on having the newer socket purely for a line quality issue - they are essentially the same. The only different is the removable sub-plate to allow user installed extensions without the need of unsightly splitters etc.

As for "direct connection for testing", the old box is a direct connection - the same as the internal connector on the new boxes.

I doubt if BT would change the box for free, unless you have a fault with it or the line somewhere. The part is cheap (and can actually be bought on line if you look around) but what you pay for is the callout and labour charges. Probably not worth it to be honest.

Hope that helps?
N/A

NTE5 master phone socket

BT do not replace these for free, there would certainly be a charge.

There are a few benefits from a NTe5, but from the off, these would not directly reduce the Attuation or increse the SNR.

It provides a quick and easy method to isolate all internal wireing, and use a clean direct to pole socket (though it still pases through the ring capacitor & circuit protection).

You also get the advantage of a NTe5 mounted filter faceplate. These provide a pre-filtered service to your extentions, with only the front socket being ADSL capable.

Alternatives include modified NTe5 faceplates. These provide the same as a normal one, but also provide a unfiltered connector on the back, so you can create a ADSL only extention and hardwire it.
N/A

NTE5 master phone socket

Thanks for the info / advice. Have seen the various sites advertising modfied NTe5 face plates, might consider these. Certainly doesn't sound like it's worth getting BT to change it, far to costly.
Thanks againSmiley
N/A

NTE5 master phone socket

The problem is, you are using a older style master socket though, so just ordering a faceplate is of no use.

You need to replace the backbox as well. The easier method is to order a whole NTe5 & modified fastplate.

The reason for this, is the modified faceplat, sits on the front of the NTe5.