cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

N/A

:deadhead:
Sorry a girl has entered the forum, however I am new to this. Just set up my DYNAMODE A360 Modem and set evrything up. Connection seems fast below are my test results is this good?

Direction Actual Speed True Speed (estimated)

Downstream 470 Kbps (58.8 KB/sec) 507 Kbps (inc. overheads)
Upstream 244 Kbps (30.5 KB/sec) 263 Kbps (inc. overheads)

ALSO....

When I turn my computer off (as its a bit loud in my room to be left on 24/70 I have to click on the shortcut to Wip Tech and click dial before I have internet access. Am I doing something wrong, or everytime I turn computer off do I have to go through the above process?

SORRY FOR SUCH A LONG QUESTION BUT I AM NEW TO THIS.
THANKS
10 REPLIES
N/A

RE: NEWBIE

--snip--

> Direction Actual Speed True Speed (estimated)
>
> Downstream 470 Kbps (58.8 KB/sec) 507 Kbps (inc. overheads)
> Upstream 244 Kbps (30.5 KB/sec) 263 Kbps (inc. overheads)
Seems pretty good to me, assuming of course you just the bog standard 500kbps account Smiley

> ALSO....
>
> When I turn my computer off (as its a bit loud in my room to be left on 24/70 I have to click on the shortcut to Wip Tech and click dial before I have internet access. Am I doing something wrong, or everytime I turn computer off do I have to go through the above process?

Yeah you need to do this every time, that establishes whats called a PPP connection to Plusnet (Point-to-Point Protocol) and sends them your username and password etc...

> THANKS
no worries

--
N/A

Your speeds look normal. Since you are on a modem the connection will drop when you shutdown and you will have to connect when you startup afaik.

You should be able to set the modem up to dial on demand.
N/A

> --snip--
>
> > Direction Actual Speed True Speed (estimated)
> >
> > Downstream 470 Kbps (58.8 KB/sec) 507 Kbps (inc. overheads)
> > Upstream 244 Kbps (30.5 KB/sec) 263 Kbps (inc. overheads)
> Seems pretty good to me, assuming of course you just the bog standard 500kbps account Smiley
>
>
> > ALSO....
> >
> > When I turn my computer off (as its a bit loud in my room to be left on 24/70 I have to click on the shortcut to Wip Tech and click dial before I have internet access. Am I doing something wrong, or everytime I turn computer off do I have to go through the above process?
>
> Yeah you need to do this every time, that establishes whats called a PPP connection to Plusnet (Point-to-Point Protocol) and sends them your username and password etc...
>
> > THANKS
> no worries
>
> THANKS A LOT SIMON!!
> --
>

N/A

> Your speeds look normal. Since you are on a modem the connection will drop when you shutdown and you will have to connect when you startup afaik.
>
> You should be able to set the modem up to dial on demand.
>

THANKS, BUT YOU KNOW WHAT IM GOING TO ASK NEXT..... HOW DO I SET UP DIAL ON DEMAND PLEASEHuh
N/A

>

No don't bother with dial on demand.

When you first switch on make the ADSL connection (i.e. always on) and then as and when you use the internet its there immediately.

If you use dial on demand you get a five to ten second stall whilst the modem syncs.

N/A

>
> Ive switched my computer on and off, and still have to kep clicking Wip Tech/dial how do I set up ADSL conection always on. As its getting a pain everytime I turm my computer on to have to keep connecting.

N/A

If you want a true always on connection then you have to use a router/modem. These are slightly dearer than modem only but really become cost effective if you are connecting two or more computers to the same adsl connection.

As your using a modem only, then you have to log on each time you switch the computer on. But at least you can leave modem connected all the time your computer is on.
N/A

I dont know your modem and software tools. It should be possible to get this to run when your computer starts up. Anyone?
N/A

You can set it up as your default connection in dial up networking and also set dial on demand. this will just connect when you need to use it and appear to be 'always on'.

you can also turn off auto disconnect so you will only get a slight delay when you first connect, but you probably won't notice it anyway, then it will be there all the time(after you first access the web, untill you turn your pc off).

Hope this helps

Bill
Brickinit
Grafter

>
> >
> > Ive switched my computer on and off, and still have to kep clicking Wip Tech/dial how do I set up ADSL conection always on. As its getting a pain everytime I turm my computer on to have to keep connecting.

i got my computer to connect as soon as i turn it on by putting a shortcut into my startup program then instead of having to click on wip tech each time i just tells you it is checking password and you are away

malc