cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

+NET have u got more users than u can handle?

N/A

+NET have u got more users than u can handle?

at day times my speed drops to a sub dial up, in fact i would be lucky if page that i view even loads, WHATS GOING ON? & WHAT R U GOING TO DO ABOUT THIS? Dont say that the problem is at my end i know that this is also happening to a lot other users?
16 REPLIES
Community Veteran

RE: +NET have u got more users than u can handle?

> WHATS GOING ON? & WHAT R U GOING TO DO ABOUT THIS?

Perhaps a post in the PlusNet Support forum might get a response :p

Chris
N/A

> > WHATS GOING ON? & WHAT R U GOING TO DO ABOUT THIS?
>
> Perhaps a post in the PlusNet Support forum might get a response :p
>
> Chris

Also it can't be a global problem as I have no complaint's with regards to speed, other then the one listed and I feel that is a hardware issue and not a plusnet issue.

*shrug* May be your unlucky?

[Point of post is to prove not all users have speed issues]

Doug
N/A

> > > WHATS GOING ON? & WHAT R U GOING TO DO ABOUT THIS?
> >
> > Perhaps a post in the PlusNet Support forum might get a response :p
> >
> > Chris
>
> Also it can't be a global problem as I have no complaint's with regards to speed, other then the one listed and I feel that is a hardware issue and not a plusnet issue.
>
> *shrug* May be your unlucky?
>
> [Point of post is to prove not all users have speed issues]
>
> Doug

i get notmal speeds an night time!
N/A

* correction > i get normal (>60 kbps) speeds at night time which is great 4 downloading!

also u might be quick 2 say that the problem is down my end, but wait till it starts happening 2 u, when u r telephone exchainge starts 2 fill up and u cant surf!
N/A

> * correction > i get normal (>60 kbps) speeds at night time which is great 4 downloading!
>
> also u might be quick 2 say that the problem is down my end, but wait till it starts happening 2 u, when u r telephone exchainge starts 2 fill up and u cant surf!
>

Hi

just to let you know that i don't have any problems surfing the net. Mind it may be a different matter as time goes by and more people go for broadband. Spoke to some neighbours the other day only to find out that in my close half of the houses are on adsl
N/A

Not wishing to cause you more grief by advertising the fact, but your slow-downs could be caused by this:

<snip>
/etc # nmap -sS -P0 ukavatar.plus.com

Starting nmap V. 2.54BETA31 ( www.insecure.org/nmap/ )
Interesting ports on ukavatar.plus.com (212.159.30.46):
(The 1546 ports scanned but not shown below are in state: closed)
Port State Service
59/tcp open priv-file
79/tcp open finger
135/tcp open loc-srv
139/tcp open netbios-ssn
445/tcp open microsoft-ds
1002/tcp open unknown
1025/tcp open listen
5000/tcp open fics

Nmap run completed -- 1 IP address (1 host up) scanned in 26 seconds
</snip>

Your machine is wide-open to abuse from the whole internet. It's possible that your slowdowns are being caused by port-scanners or a DoS attack against you.

Get yourself a firewall NOW - even ZoneAlarm would be better than nothing. http://www.zonelabs.com/
N/A

I just want to say that my speeds have been absoultely excellent for the past month or so, no slow downs or anything. Top speeds and reliable. It actually seems faster than 512 asdl. :bounce:
N/A

> at day times my speed drops to a sub dial up, in fact i would be lucky if page that i view even loads, WHATS GOING ON? & WHAT R U GOING TO DO ABOUT THIS? Dont say that the problem is at my end i know that this is also happening to a lot other users?

Probably your conntention ratio....
N/A

> Not wishing to cause you more grief by advertising the fact, but your slow-downs could be caused by this:
>
> <snip>
> /etc # nmap -sS -P0 ukavatar.plus.com
>
> Starting nmap V. 2.54BETA31 ( www.insecure.org/nmap/ )
> Interesting ports on ukavatar.plus.com (212.159.30.46):
> (The 1546 ports scanned but not shown below are in state: closed)
> Port State Service
> 59/tcp open priv-file
> 79/tcp open finger
> 135/tcp open loc-srv
> 139/tcp open netbios-ssn
> 445/tcp open microsoft-ds
> 1002/tcp open unknown
> 1025/tcp open listen
> 5000/tcp open fics
>
>
> Nmap run completed -- 1 IP address (1 host up) scanned in 26 seconds
> </snip>
>
> Your machine is wide-open to abuse from the whole internet. It's possible that your slowdowns are being caused by port-scanners or a DoS attack against you.
>
> Get yourself a firewall NOW - even ZoneAlarm would be better than nothing. http://www.zonelabs.com/

Laughable.

Just because a machine is wide open, it doesn't mean it is goingt o get more probes than any other system.

Using a Honeytrap system, and a secured system (on two different connection). Over 1 week, we saw only 2% increase in port scanns on the honeytrap system.

This is most likely caused, by the automated scanning tools used. They check for connection, if they find one, they scan it some more.

Considering these scans are at the average rate of only 3 per hour, it is nothing. They are likely scanning a whole +Net subnet at a time, thus every1 is getting the same set of scans, and not just me.

Even a full nmap scan takes very little bandwidth. It only involves two packets to determine if a connection is possible, the request and the acknoledgment. These take very little overhaed.

Daytime speed reductions are likely not contention issues, and it can only be a local equipment issue, if you start doing more or less surfing between the night and day.

It may well be worth checking local stuff again though, depending on the equipment in place. If a USB or PCI modem is in use, then your system could be doing work it shouldn't during the day, which may well cause the slow down (Less CPU to process data).
N/A

> Laughable.

The machine or my post? The machine seems pretty vulnerable to me, which isn't a laughing matter.

> Just because a machine is wide open, it doesn't
> mean it is goingt o get more probes than any
> other system.

I never said that.

> Using a Honeytrap system, and a secured system
> (on two different connection). Over 1 week, we
> saw only 2% increase in port scanns on the
> honeytrap system.

"YMMV", obviously, but the affected machine in this case *could* be suffering from a sustained, deliberate DoS attack.

> This is most likely caused, by the automated
> scanning tools used. They check for connection,
> if they find one, they scan it some more.

Agreed. Given that 137, 139 and 445 are all open, this is a nice-looking target, don't you think?

> Considering these scans are at the average rate
> of only 3 per hour, it is nothing.

What scans? I didn't suggest that the affected machine was being slowed down as a result of a blanket scan.

> Even a full nmap scan takes very little bandwidth.
> It only involves two packets to determine if a
> connection is possible, the request and the
> acknoledgment. These take very little overhaed.

I know all of this. I didn't suggest otherwise.

> If a USB or PCI modem is in use, then your system
> could be doing work it shouldn't during the day,
> which may well cause the slow down (Less CPU to
> process data).

CPU being used to manage USB/PCI doesn't explain oscillating performance. If CPU hogging was the issue, the performance would be consistent, which is contrary to what the original posted has reported.

A client of mine used a seriously crappy USB ADSL modem on a grossly underpowered PC for ages and still enjoyed 60k/s download speeds.
N/A

I was pretty much laughing at both the insecurity and your post.

It is well ture, that the machine is very insecure, and that urgent action needs to the taken.

However, your post stated "Your machine is wide-open to abuse from the whole internet. It's possible that your slowdowns are being caused by port-scanners or a DoS attack against you."

Port scanners, unless from a large number of host, would unlikely cause any such gedredation in service.

As for system resource being tied up, it is a large posibility.

Cron/schedualed jobs, may be taking place invisibly in the background during the day, as the use may have chose this time, or even software may ahve picked these, based on looking how the user uses the system.

Low memory can cause it. While the CPU may be idle (though a task is running), the memory might be low, while a slow, but low load task ties it up.

We have VPN systems that react sluggish during office hours, but fast at night due to this (though we only need night-time VPN, as there is either direct access, ro the fact we are on the same subnet during the day).

A firewall and traffic monitor are seriously sugested. This will clear up the serious issue that your are unpretected, and also tell you exactly where you bandwidth is being used.

However, without either of these, I would seriously say (not in a nasty way) you are not in a position, to say that +net are 100% to blame.

Are you in a area with lots of businesses?

Remember, there is also 50:1 business service, so daytime usage may be tied up by them. Contention doesn't only affect people at night.
N/A

> I was pretty much laughing at both
> the insecurity and your post.

Why did you laugh at my post and then concur with it?

> It is well ture, that the machine is very
> insecure, and that urgent action needs to the
> taken.

Agreed (apart from the spellings and diction).

> Port scanners, unless from a large number of
> host, would unlikely cause any such gedredation
> in service.

Not entirely true. Even a single machine undertaking a TCP connect or half-connect scan could tie up protocol control blocks (ie. leaving them in ESTABLISHED, TIME_WAIT or FIN_WAIT_2 states). This would starve the machine of TCP resources, which could indeed cause a slow-down.

> Cron/schedualed jobs, may be taking place
> invisibly in the background during the day, as
> the use may have chose this time, or even
> software may ahve picked these, based on looking
> how the user uses the system.

I know that this we are talking about a W2K box. I'm guessing that the owner doesn't run schedules.

> Low memory can cause it. While the CPU may be
> idle (though a task is running), the memory might
> be low, while a slow, but low load task ties it
> up.

Naturally. This fits into the "low resource" category you've already cited.

> We have VPN systems that react sluggish during
> office hours, but fast at night

I'm guessing that the own isn't into VPNs.

> A firewall and traffic monitor are seriously
> sugested. This will clear up the serious issue
> that your are unpretected, and also tell you
> exactly where you bandwidth is being used.

Installing ZoneAlarm as a minimum has already been suggested.

> However, without either of these, I would
> seriously say (not in a nasty way) you are not
> in a position, to say that +net are 100% to blame.

Agreed.

> Are you in a area with lots of businesses?
>
> Remember, there is also 50:1 business service,
> so daytime usage may be tied up by them.
> Contention doesn't only affect people at night.

I was on a wireless broadband connection with Tele2 before I switched to +net. Performance during the day was acceptable even though it *was* contended with lots of businesses. Come the evenings and weekend (when I used it most), performance shot up as there was nobody else to contend with.

Community Veteran

> > I was pretty much laughing at both
> > the insecurity and your post.
>
> Why did you laugh at my post and then concur with it?

I agree!

>also u might be quick 2 say that the problem is down my end, but wait till it starts happening 2 u, when u r telephone exchainge starts 2 fill up and u cant surf!

If you think it's a contention problem at your exchange then don;t be so quick off the draw to accuse PlusNet of having too many customers.

Chris
N/A

I allready posted why I laughed at it.

He claimed "port scanning" would fill his connection.

This is the only part I laughed at, and I thought I quoted that in the second reply. Sorry if it wasn't clear.

However, he did note in the second reply, that this wasn't true.

Unless a lot of people decide to portscan all at once, this doubtfult he cause.

Even more so, that it only happens during the day.