cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NAT connection sharing

N/A

NAT connection sharing

Hi,

I've been thinking about getting the Home Self-Install package and I just wondered if anyone
could answer a couple of questions about it. I'd like to use a router like the Netgear DG814, or something similar, which provides both firewall and NAT, to share the connection between about 4 computers.

I can't find anything in the Plusnet terms and conditions prohibiting this, so I assume it's OK to do. Can anyone confirm or deny this?

Also, I've read in a few places that certain applications won't work correctly behind a NAT gateway - in particular, MSN Messenger. Does it just not work at all, or with limited functionality, and are there any ways around this?

Thanks in advance,

Allan
4 REPLIES
N/A

RE: NAT connection sharing

> Hi,
>
> I've been thinking about getting the Home Self-Install package and I just wondered if anyone
> could answer a couple of questions about it. I'd like to use a router like the Netgear DG814, or something similar, which provides both firewall and NAT, to share the connection between about 4 computers.
>
> I can't find anything in the Plusnet terms and conditions prohibiting this, so I assume it's OK to do. Can anyone confirm or deny this?
>
> Also, I've read in a few places that certain applications won't work correctly behind a NAT gateway - in particular, MSN Messenger. Does it just not work at all, or with limited functionality, and are there any ways around this?
>
> Thanks in advance,
>
> Allan

Allan,

What you do with your bandwidth is essentialy up to you, whether just one machine or four, that is your choice. Am running three here at home with no probs.

No knowledge of your other query re Messenger.

Good luck.

Regards,

--
Regards,

Matthew

Change someones life
Become a teacher
N/A

> Hi,
>
> I've been thinking about getting the Home Self-Install package and I just wondered if anyone
> could answer a couple of questions about it. I'd like to use a router like the Netgear DG814, or something similar, which provides both firewall and NAT, to share the connection between about 4 computers.
>
> I can't find anything in the Plusnet terms and conditions prohibiting this, so I assume it's OK to do. Can anyone confirm or deny this?
>
> Also, I've read in a few places that certain applications won't work correctly behind a NAT gateway - in particular, MSN Messenger. Does it just not work at all, or with limited functionality, and are there any ways around this?
>
> Thanks in advance,
>
> Allan

dg814 does not have a fire wall as such it relies on NAT, messenger will work for text chat but not for sending files and such as it needs access to your main ip address not the network ip address
N/A

Allan,

I am in the same position as you exactly. The Speedtouch 510 v4 seems to be the answer! It has Universal Plug and Play (and implements this fully). This enables the trickier bits of Messenger etc to work. There seems to be lots of other 'get arounds' but UPnP seems to be the best solution from what I can see.

I have gone from Dabs Conexant to DG814 and have now happily settled on the 510 v4 (be careful though must be the v4 as the last one didn't implement UPnP fully).

try http://www.speedtouchdsl.com/prod510.htm

and

http://www.dslsource.co.uk/st5104si.asp?idShop=6

(new v4 coming soon they tell me) Not a bad price compared to the DG814 either.

Lastly.... if you are using Messenger on XP...
www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/pro/techinfo/deployment/natfw/default.asp

Hope this all helps

Craig
N/A

RE: Speedtouch 510v4 Router

...further to my last....

I have got and installed the Speedtouch 510v4 now. All seems very well initially. Very easy to setup (mostly automated). I haven't had a chance to try the deeper aspects of Messenger and Netmeeting yet but I can recommend the router. The UPnP feature is recognised and is shown as an item in Network Connections.

It's silent in operation, doesn't get too hot, has a 4 port switch built in and even looks unusually good for a router! The indicator LED's are on the top and are therefore invisible when installed on a shelf or in a rack which is ashame but hardly a major problem.

I purchased from http://www.lineonly.com/lineonly/routers.asp

they actually have humans there on a phone! Very helpful and delivery next day. Can't say anything against them. Router and 2 filters for £165 inc VAT.

Again, hope this helps.

Craig