My router stats and what im being told by PN

Downstream rate - 1462
Upstream rate - 448

Downstream margin - 1Db
Upstream margin - 18Db

Downstream Line Attenuation - 57
Upstream line attenuation - 31

Path - Interleaved

PN are telling me that BT have adjusted my profile to 288, which is the reason my speed is now a constant 256-270kbps.

My router is telling me different (I think) saying that I have the possiblity tio get 1462kbps max....are PN just fobbing me off or have I misunderstood my router stats?

After speaking to BT again today they say I should get up to 1.5meg as im quite a distance from the exchange. So I used to get speeds in excess of 1000kbps, a stable 900 anyway.
13 REPLIES
shellsong
Grafter

1 dB is too low a margin for a stable line-- your target could do with being maybe 3-6 dB and this would result in the synch rate dropping to about 1000 Kbps or less with your present connection state

If you look at http://www.beforum.co.uk/forum/default.aspx?f=2&m=3875 you will see that past experience for your attenuation has been an average synch rate of 2 Mbps and a max of just under 5 Mbps

To see what your connection can achieve you really need to plug your router/modem into the test socket of your BT master if it is the split face plate NTE5 type.

http://www.wppltd.demon.co.uk/WPP/Wiring/UK_telephone/uk_telephone.html can show you what different BT boxes look like and where the test socket is on a NTE5
N/A

Thanks for the info, it seems that 1 db is a one off...its currently sitting at 4 and has been since I posted the original message.

My main issue right now is that I get 250kbps down and 350 up?!

I used to get a stable 900 (Occasionally higher) down and the 350 up..

Im still getting told BT have reduced my speeds down but PN now say its 1 meg ad BT say its 1.5...im sick as a chip lol!
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

BT set your IP profile to the lowest speed you sync at (there is "blip logic" that should ignore one off events). Having gone down to lower speeds it will only rise again if it remains stable for 3-5 days. There is very little PN can do about this.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£13/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
N/A

Cheers Elvin, but does that answer the questions as to why my my up is 100kbps faster than my down?
N/A

Can I butt in and ask why, when the BT test shows I have a max stable rate of >6000kbps that I can only get 200-500?
N/A

Have you checked to see what your upstream is Alan? I only noticed today my up was higher than down?!
N/A

448K this from an internal on the ticket I raised. I can't do a BT test because of some IP address error reported by the BT tester.
N/A

N/A

518 and 182 for down and upload respectively.

Then 890 and 286 a minute or 2 later.
N/A

Im guessing PN are just tits up mate...I've had to call them 3 times today to get back to square one, ,y speed has increased after my last call, so theyve done something, but my router stat now says I can only get aq nmax of 1 meg...something amiss!!!
shellsong
Grafter

I cannot emphasise enough-- are you obtaining your stats plugged into the test socket?

It's the only effective way of eliminating the effect of your hose phone wiring unless you've done some major rewiring and filtering and possibly detached any ring wires

If you want to get the best out of your connection this is the first area you need to sort out
oliverb
Grafter

I've said this before, if you have a poor signal I strongly recomend the use of a single faceplate filter on the master socket. You can install a dedicated DSL extension to your computer if you need to.
N/A

Guys the problem has sorted itself out as far as I can see, Im back to getting 1300downstream after about 6 weeks messing with PN, the ticket is still open until Sunday when I shift to Zen anyway...nothing wrong with filters, sockets or router..1db was low but that mustve been a one off, as it sits between 5 and 9 normally.

Still too long to sort out and Zen seem shyt hot with the migration, cant wait!