cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

My poorly broadband...

N/A

My poorly broadband...

Hi All,
Since Tuesday, I've had no Internet access over ADSL at home.
I'm on 8mb BB premier, on the LLU platform AFAIK.
My router has a solid DSL sync, I've replaced all micro filters, my router can see an 8mb ADSL connection, however, using my user name and password I cannot connect.
testing@dslconnect.co.uk will give me a connection and an IP, but obviously this is unusable.
I've tried 2 new routers, hard reseting known good routers, all to no avail.
PN customer support have been very helpful, yet I have no broadband unless I use my T-Mobile 3G data card, which, with 3 others in the house all needing Internet access, is not ideal.
This happens every now and again, and has since I was "upgraded" to 8mb ADSL, prior to this I think there was only once where my connection was unavailable in 3 years.
I'm starting to consider a new ISP now, which I am reluctant to do as I think overall, PlusNet are a great ISP, however these occasions where I am without 'net access for days at a time causes considerable stress to myself (an IT consultant on call) and others in my family.
Anyone else have similar issues?

Thanks,
Dan
17 REPLIES
SheffieldMike
Grafter

Problems

Almost.

I have been with Plusnet for many years now and in general I've been happy with it. But in the last 5-10 days I have had great problems logging-in. I deliberately log out whenever I'm not using the Internet as I see no point taking up space for the sake of it. But now, when I log in, it takes anything from 3 to (this morning) 10 attempts before I am accepted. Usually I get a regular 'code 734' error; sometimes with a countdown clock and sometimes without.

I have checked everything (not with different equipment I admit) and have broken cleaned and re-made every connection.

I note Plusnet has slipped right down so many of the comparisons, and I'm beginning to think it's time to move on.

Mike of Sheffield. Sad
N/A

My poorly broadband...

I have now been informed that my issue has been escalated to Tiscali and that it may take another 3 business days before I get a response from them.
This is getting beyond a joke now!

:x
N/A

My poorly broadband...

I'd check your exchange status http://usertools.plus.net/exchanges/ and see if its in the green or red first.
If its green i'd pop a ticket in.
N/A

My poorly broadband...

It's green!
Ticket already in which I think I forgot to include in my original rant!
chrisc
Grafter

My poorly broadband...

@thejonesfamily

I appreciate the frustrating nature of the problem however there is clearly an authentication problem - if your details fail and the test login works then this is the case.

We have to get this escalated to our suppliers and wait for their invesitgations unfortunately.

@mfrizelle

Can you raise a fault here so that this can be investigated for you?
N/A

My poorly broadband...

@thejonesfamily

I appreciate the frustrating nature of the problem however there is clearly an authentication problem - if your details fail and the test login works then this is the case.

We have to get this escalated to our suppliers and wait for their invesitgations unfortunately.

I understand that.
Is there any way off this awful Tiscali platform?
chrisc
Grafter

My poorly broadband...

It is possible to move customers back to BT IPStream if they are having continued problems with the LLU network.

If the problem continues after we get an update from Tiscali and we don't seem any closer to a resolution make the request to move back on your open fault ticket.
N/A

My poorly broadband...

Thanks for that Chris.
I would like to know why the LLU platform has these blips in service (for me anyway) every now ang again.
We had the BT phone line renewed back in 2000 so it's a new ish line, so I dont see line quality being an issue.
Is it just a case of bad equipment at the exchange or poor quality of service from Tiscali?
chrisc
Grafter

My poorly broadband...

TBH the LLU service has fewer issues than the BT platform. There are very few speed complaints and, in general, the Tiscali platform works very well. The main issue arises when trying to resolve problems - if it is an issue that we can fix here then its not too bad but when we raise an issue to Tiscali it is usually longer for feedback than from BT.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

My poorly broadband...

.. if it is an issue that we can fix here then its not too bad but when we raise an issue to Tiscali it is usually longer for feedback than from BT.

But wasn't that was one of the things which was claimed would be better when LLU was introduced (initially without the opt-out of course) .. let me go searching:

Ah here
We also know from our trial with Tiscali that their fault diagnosis and resolution tools are a leap ahead of what BT Wholesale provide to us so during the trial we were able to resolve customer issues far faster than we currently can with IPStream.

So it seems that way then, doesn't it :roll:

Also, why are Tiscali commonly referred to your 'suppliers' or 'alternative supplier', when there is of course only one.

Do the staff forget the name of your only alternative network supplier?
N/A

My poorly broadband...

We also know from our trial with Tiscali that their fault diagnosis and resolution tools are a leap ahead of what BT Wholesale provide to us so during the trial we were able to resolve customer issues far faster than we currently can with IPStream.

So it seems that way then, doesn't it :roll:

Yes, Tiscali have an excellent fault and diagnostic resolution system Wink
SheffieldMike
Grafter

My poorly broadband...

@thejonesfamily

@mfrizelle

Can you raise a fault here so that this can be investigated for you?

I've done this.

Can I point out that once I have successfully made a connection - as I have now - things are OK (apart from the speed, showing at 3.4mbps currently)?

My point was that I had to make up to 10 (this time 11) attempts before succeeding, each time getting a 734 fault and about half the time getting no 'redial' countdown?
It is a bit difficult to 'leave the broadband connection live' when you can't make a connection . . .

Mike of Sheffield
SheffieldMike
Grafter

My poorly broadband...

- And having done so, and having (as asked) left my broadband connection open without a firewall overnight, I am no wiser than I was . . .

I find it difficult to believe that Plusnet don't know why accounts which have always connected without trouble now get refused up to 10 times in a row when logging on is attempted.

Mike of Sheffield.
N/A

My poorly broadband...

I've still got no connection, however I have been told that "We have seen multiple faults for your area for customers connecting via BT equipment and LLU equipment , which would suggest there is major issue rather than an individual line problem" which is all well and good but still leaves me without an Internet connection!
I dont think i'll bother paying this months bill.