cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

My own FTP server setup

N/A

My own FTP server setup

Hi all,

I would like to setup a FTP server at home with the static IP address provided by PlusNet. I am using Serv-U FTP server software. However, the FTP server can be accessed locally but people outside (internet) cannot access my FTP server. Does anyone know how to setup a FTP server at home? What settings I must take care?
I have tried using the IP address directly as the FTP address and pointed a FTP name ftp.XX.XX to my IP address.Both method work in intranet but not internet. Could any expert teach me how to do it?

Many thanks

LL

[Moderator's note (by Chris P.): Topic moved to a more suitable forum]
7 REPLIES
N/A

My own FTP server setup

What sort of connection equipment do you use? If you're using a router you'll need to forward the specified port (default is 21) to the computer running the FTP server within the router's configuration. Instructions for this can probably be found in the router's manual.
N/A

My own FTP server setup

I am not using any router. My connection to internet is via an ADSL USB modem. I have ZoneAlarm software firewall in my PC.
Community Veteran

My own FTP server setup

username.plus.com (where username is your plusnet name) already points to your static IP so any remote FTP app would just open username.plus.com to access your FTP server (e.g. ftp username.plus.com).

However it depends on your ADSL equipment whether it is blocking port 21 or if you need to or can set up port forwarding. If you tell us the make/model of your USB modem we may be able to tell you.

Also is your FTP server listening on the right IP address and port number - you may need to check the config for this as it sometimes defaults to 127.0.0.1 which is the local PCs loopback address.

Also can you post what ipconfig /all says when run in a dos box / command prompt (start->run then enter cmd or command to get a dos window). This will tell us if your PlusNet IP is assigned to your PC or something else.

Also with ZoneAlarm, you must allow inbound connections on port 21 for your FTP server to see connection requests from outside your PC. If everything is setup as I think it should be, this may be what is stopping it working.
N/A

My own FTP server setup

Thank you very much.
I am using ALCATEL SpeedTouch USB ADSL modem (1 port only, no router).
N/A

My own FTP server setup

I have checked that the IP assigned in my PC is the PlusNet IP.
Community Veteran

My own FTP server setup

I assume your PC is on and your IP address is 80 dot 229 dot 164 dot 247. If so I cannot ping it or ftp to it.

I suggest try disabling ZoneAlarm and see if that helps. Also check your FTP server config as I suggested to make sure it is listening on the IP addres above.
N/A

My own FTP server setup

Thank you. I have sorted it out. It is because I forgot to turn off the Windows Internet connection firewall.