cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

My new Netgear DG 834

N/A

My new Netgear DG 834

installed my new router.. piece of pie and had no hacking problems since! its really a lot faster than my old usb modem! now i know this maybe cheeky but is there anyway to make it faster still? can u tweak the mtu on a router.. connection is 1mb any suggestions?

Nick Smith
5 REPLIES
lowry
Grafter

My new Netgear DG 834

It is probably best to leave the MTU on the router well alone, and just tweak the MTU on the computer. However, it is possible that you may see a small speed increase if you tweak the computer's MTU to its optimal value (you may need to try a few values first, read 'MTU Tweak'), and then change the router MTU to the same as the computer.

You can change the MTU easily (without looking through the complicated Windows Registry) using DrTCP.

matt Wink
KJS
Grafter

My new Netgear DG 834

You can change the routers MTU under the wan settings, I changed mine to 1478 and it increased my download speeds quite a bit. The most common ones to try are 1400, 1430, 1458, 1478 and 1500. Good luck.
N/A

My new Netgear DG 834

Ive brough the mtu down from 1458 to 1400 and when running tracert to

dfi.defiance.com

the server i play my games on it seems to be a lot more stable and quicker than 1478/1500..

is there a reason for this? will my downloads still go as fast?
N/A

My new Netgear DG 834

my con is 1mb and on the speedtest i still constantly get around 940-960. Is this any good?
KJS
Grafter

My new Netgear DG 834

I can only comment on my connection which is 2mb putting it to 1478 sped up my downloads. I think when I was on 1mb it was either 1400 or 1430 that worked best for me then.

Try this link and under test+tools run the tweak test and see what it advises, it may help make you choice.

http://www.broadbandreports.com/