cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

My house phone

N/A

My house phone

my house cordless phone has micro filter connected to it, well all my phones have micro filters on it, and 1 of them makes some next noise instead of a dial tone, when i remove micro filter then it works normally but then my broadband connection would disconnect sometimes. i need help, can any1 help me plzz?

T3J
5 REPLIES
Alecto
Grafter

My house phone

You need to get some decent microfilters such as these.
Many, including the ones supplied by Plusnet, are not up to the job

And of course you need one on every socket that has something plugged into it, including sky.
Denzil
Grafter

My house phone

You say "all your phones". How many phones do you have connected to your line? There is a limit to the number of phones that can be plugged in, normally four.
N/A

My house phone

denzil's comment makes a lot of sense, since the modem / router on ADSL does take up at least 1 ren.

Good filters can handle upto 3 devices being connected them, but you do need to ensure sky is also filtered.

If you get noise on a phone line, then either the filters aren't up to the job, or you possibly have a fault on the line itself or something is wired correctly. An issue with REN normally results in one or more phones not ringing and sometimes not being able to get a dial-tone.
Community Veteran

My house phone

denzil's comment makes a lot of sense, since the modem / router on ADSL does take up at least 1 ren.

Most (if not all) routers are ren 0 because they don't have to ring (REN = ring equivelence number). Just look on the back of the router and it will tell you and if it does not then it's 0.

Good filters can handle upto 3 devices being connected them, but you do need to ensure sky is also filtered.

Not sure where you got that info from? The filter is no different to any normal socket and you can connect as many phones to it as you like with the same REN limit as a normal phone socket.
N/A

My house phone

Not sure where you got that info from? The filter is no different to any normal socket and you can connect as many phones to it as you like with the same REN limit as a normal phone socket.

I'm led to believe from what I've read on several sites that there is a limit to the number of phones etc, that you can hang off one filter. It's been a while since I looked at all this stuff, from memory it's related to the capacitors used in the ring circuit of the filter, or more accurately the capacity of the capacitors used. It's normally only faceplate filters that have a ren capacity of 4 (i.e. 4 phones).
Filters that hang from the socket, normally have smaller capacitors and therefore cannot cope with as many phones being connected.

As for the Ren, I should have worded my answer more carefully, as you can have a modem with a REN value but yes if nothing is mentioned then is has a REN of 0.