cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

My Speed has disappeared :-)

N/A

wierd goings on here.On the 3rd of July in a message to one of the forums this discussion in particular http://portal.plus.net/central/forums/viewtopic.php?t=44997&highlight= I posted the readout from my router which was

Downstream Rate : 8128 Kbps
Upstream Rate : 832 Kbps
Downstream Margin : 9 db
Upstream Margin : 13 db
Downstream Line Attenuation : 13
Upstream Line Attenuation : 8
Downstream Transmit Power : 0
Upstream Transmit Power : 0

Which it has been ever since I was upgraded a few months back...... now today I have a look at the readings from my router and they are

DSL Status : Up
DSL Modulation Mode : GDMT
DSL Path Mode : FAST
Downstream Rate : 4032 Kbps
Upstream Rate : 384 Kbps
Downstream Margin : 16 db
Upstream Margin : 5 db
Downstream Line Attenuation : 15
Upstream Line Attenuation : 10
Downstream Transmit Power : 0
Upstream Transmit Power : 0

Anyone have any ideas as to what has happened it's interesting to see the rather drastic changes in the upstream/downstream margins.

Is this something that happens with MaxDSL in that it changes it's speed dependant on line conditions or some other external influence.In other words if I get BT to run a line check..... find a fault..... repair if there is one will the reading from my router change again.Just wondering as I must be by now a couple of months outside the "training" period by now.Or is it worth raising a "question"
2 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 54

I have exactly the same problem with my Speedtouch 546 but a reboot of the router fixes it.. In my case I am assuming it is a problem with the router
Bandwidth (Up/Down) [kbps/kbps]: 288 / 3,136
Data Transferred (Sent/Received) [MB/MB]: 3.39 / 26.59
Output Power (Up/Down) [dBm]: 12.0 / 19.0
Line Attenuation (Up/Down) [dB]: 25.5 / 51.5
SN Margin (Up/Down) [dB]: 6.0 / 13.5

After resynch

Uptime: 0 days, 0:00:18
Modulation: G.992.1 Annex A
Bandwidth (Up/Down) [kbps/kbps]: 448 / 3,392
Data Transferred (Sent/Received) [KB/KB]: 0.00 / 0.00
Output Power (Up/Down) [dBm]: 12.0 / 19.0
Line Attenuation (Up/Down) [dB]: 24.5 / 51.0
SN Margin (Up/Down) [dB]: 20.0 / 12.5
N/A

That did it..... not sure how or why I was always under the impression that the margins were something to do with the phone line quality and/or a problem at the exchange and therefor had tried a few disconnects and reconects.Wonder what is going wrong in the router, if anything that would cause that to happen.

Thanks for the heads up it is appreciated speed is not something I normally worry about too much about unless of course it drops to zero :-)