cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

My PCI Modem & Disconnections

N/A

Hi there ppl. I was hoping someone could help me out with my problem.

I have recently joined plusnet, and signed up for their pci modem option. I was sent a "Dynamode" PCI modem, and i installed and setup all the details as outlined in the piece of paper accompanying it.

For the first few wks, everything worked fine, but as of lately, the modem simply keeps losing its adsl line connection and takes ages to establish a connection again. Sometimes it'll establish a connection and then lose it, establish, lose... for 10mins at a time, losing the connection every 30secs or so. Needless to say - its very annoying.

I was hoping someone could tell me what the problem is. I have recently upgraded my memory, and although the problem existed before that, its since gotten a lot worse. Thinking it was a power supply problem, i have also upgraded my PSU from a 300W to 480W, but to no avail - modem connection problem is still there.

Any and all help would be greatfully appreciated.
Thanks. Wink
12 REPLIES
craigbrass
Grafter

I have heard that this is a common problem with that modem. What I would do is send the modem back to plusnet and ask them to send you a usb modem. This may incur a small charge but it will fix the problem.

Thanks,
Craig Brass
Community Veteran

Craig's spot on I'm afraid. Cry I had the problem so bad that I went out and bought my own router, without returning the PCI modem.

Thomas
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

/me raking old ground

1. Might not be in the correct PCI slot for your motherboard, just make sure its NOT in PCI slot 1[nearest the AGP slot]
2. Drivers, newest for the conexant chipset aren't always the best. So check Here for all versions avaliable
3. They usually hate XP, ditch it for 2k
4. might just be your exchange having problems, find out if anyone else on your exchange has problems using PCI/USB or ethernet modem/routers.
Unvalued customer since 2001 funding cheap internet for others / DSL/Fibre house move 24 month regrade from 8th May 2017
N/A

Power supply upgrade was a good move anyway.
Some maintenance works going on with one of plusnets servers so hold off for a day before you do anything drastic.
Yes, try movin card to PCI slot 2-5 and driver update, but when,sorry I mean if
this fails, then swapping it for the Dynamode USB modem definately WON'T! fix your problem, you'll get more of the same.
I'd exchange it for the solwise router.
If buying from scratch, then the speedtouch (uk) PCI card or 330 USB modem will solve your problem, as will a decent router from Netgear, D-Link etc. Smiley
N/A

I've got the alcatel (speed touch) internal pci modem (around £30)

Never once has it disconnected.
Community Veteran

It all depends on the chipset that the modem is based on.... the only chipset that seems to have real problems is the one by Conexant. Even then, you'll only have problems in certain circumstances (for instance, running Windows XP doesn't help).

Thomas
N/A

Thanks for all the replies guys. Def helped me out loads!

----------> appreciated LOADS! Cheesy
N/A

/me raking old ground

1. Might not be in the correct PCI slot for your motherboard, just make sure its NOT in PCI slot 1[nearest the AGP slot]
2. Drivers, newest for the conexant chipset aren't always the best. So check Here for all versions avaliable
3. They usually hate XP, ditch it for 2k
4. might just be your exchange having problems, find out if anyone else on your exchange has problems using PCI/USB or ethernet modem/routers.

Ditching a complete os Huh? that has to be the most stupid remark i have seen anyone make on a forum.... r u going to pay for itHuh
N/A

Ditching a complete os Huh? that has to be the most stupid remark i have seen anyone make on a forum.... r u going to pay for itHuh

You obviously don't use many forums then.

I can quite often content with 4 of these arguments every week over 5 boards.

Too be honest, what has been said is very valid.

While Windows XP may be the latest and greatest shiney thing from MS, it doesn't mean it is the best, and will work without flaws.

2000 is mature and more flexible with certain items, some of which allow for drivers to operate properly.
N/A

You'd be suprised to hear that many people actually advocate switching to an older operating system to eliminate some of the bugs that came along with XP
A lot of them have been rid of with service pack 1 and even more hopefully with service pack 2 when it arrives, so whilst I'd say that XP is a superior operating system, the actual suggestion to switch to 2k was far from stupid and in any
event Sarai was pretty pleased overall.
N/A

hmmmmm that why windows 2000 just released a 130 meg service pack 4 with 665 bug fixes etc? and oh yes i read alot of forums or i wouldnt have known about this would i? i have been giving tech support over the last 5 years but to say to get rid of an os when a person may not be able to afford it is stupid as it may have come with that machine and they may not be able to replace it , xp may not be perfect but by judging from win2k's last service pack neither is that Smiley
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

First it was a suggestion for someone that could have had a win2k CD already, so where is the big Issue you found with that?

A better solution than getting USB modem which has its own inherant problems.

So I suggested a number of options/idea's to fix a problem which can be fixed with a bit care. So if you care to make your own suggestions, do so. As I haven't seen any yet.
Unvalued customer since 2001 funding cheap internet for others / DSL/Fibre house move 24 month regrade from 8th May 2017