cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

My BB speed is on its backside

johnmglen
Grafter

Over the last few days my connection has become virtually unusable. My connection is fine according to the full test routine PN offers yet PN's checker tells me I am at or around (even below) dial up 56K!!!! Before anyone says that PN's checker is unreliable - I believe it, this is like the bad old days. I have a clean system hiding behind hardware and software firewalls, no mal/spy/ad or virus infection and no hardware or software has been changed. I am hoping there is a network issue out there in BB land but nothing seems to have been reported.
Cry
Help.
25 REPLIES
N/A

Same here.. i connect at 5408kbps but can only download at 28 - 37kbps... was the same last night...

Can't even use the www.speedtester.bt.com as it times out after i've entered my phone number telling me that an error occured and if it persists to notify my service provider...

Ian
johnmglen
Grafter

What on earth is going on here then PN? Is there a problem out there??

Help please, if I wanted dial up I'd get my old modem out of the loft.
madfruit
Dabbler

I've got the same problems. I'm on 8meg but thinkbroadband.com put me at only just over 512K!!! Downloading is nearly impossible (as I only get about 20k a second) and even browsing is slow.

I first noticed this yesterday - but it's still like it today.
johnmglen
Grafter

Helllooooooooo Plus Net, anybody there :lol:

I'm hoping they're too busy to reply cos they are trying to sort out our crappy connections!!
N/A

Well.. download speed are back to circa 5000kbps....although the bt speed checker is still playing up..

will chack again tonight..
johnmglen
Grafter

Mine still utterly rubbish. PN bless 'em are telling me to do the tests (THAT I'VE ALREADY DONE) AAAAAAGGGGGHHHH!

Anyway, anyone know what all this meansHuh?

BT SPEEDTEST RESULTS

ID Profile 6500 Kbps

Test 1.
448 kbps upstream
7616 kbps downstream
Actual 571 kbps

Test 2
448kbps upstream
7616kbps downstream
Actual 721 kbps

Test 3
448 kbps upstream
7616 kbps downstream
Actual 416 kbps

Exchange showing green all the way.

......Stop press.......

Downloading a file weighing in at a massive 3 MB, 33 minutes remaining!!!!

And PN tell me all's well......
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

You need to check that the speed given by https://portal.plus.net/my.html?action=data_transfer_speed is around the same figure (maybe a little less) than the IP Profile speed given by the BT tester.

If it is not raise a ticket asking for your stable rate to be corrected, quoting both figures.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£13/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
Community Veteran

Im also seeing slower download speeds which started on the 9th Jan, down to about 1mb at peak times and 2mb off peak - these used to be 4mb all the time.

I am also having problems with the BT speedtester.

Im not bothered by this at the moment as dont download, and latency still seems to be fine (20ms pings to bbc for example).

Im guessing that as the BT speed tester is also giving errors quite frequently then something could be unwell somwhere in BB land. Its getting BT to find it and fix it that could be the issue.

I think we all have to accept that until BT start pumping some of their multi billion pound profits back into the network, we simply wont have the quality of service that other countries have.
johnmglen
Grafter

You need to check that the speed given by https://portal.plus.net/my.html?action=data_transfer_speed is around the same figure (maybe a little less) than the IP Profile speed given by the BT tester.

If it is not raise a ticket asking for your stable rate to be corrected, quoting both figures.

Thanks the link you gave said 7000kbps whereas my id profile says 6500. I'm not sure what this means.
N/A

It means its set up correctly at Plusnet's end. Cry
johnmglen
Grafter

Darn it. I was hoping for a result but as this is a recent problem I suppose it would have been odd if it were. I wish those nice Plus Net chaps would give me a ray of hope - or even an indication that they are trying to help me.
johnmglen
Grafter

Looking at this, my figures are way way wrong. My actuals should be at least 10 times better but they are not.

http://portal.plus.net/central/forums/viewtopic.php?t=52181
Mand
Grafter

Darn it. I was hoping for a result but as this is a recent problem I suppose it would have been odd if it were. I wish those nice Plus Net chaps would give me a ray of hope - or even an indication that they are trying to help me.

Hi

Please complete 3 BT speedtests, at least 30 mins apart. We can then raise the fault for you. Certainly looks like there is something iffy on your line though, as the profile is still at 7000kbps.

The good news is as one of your speedtest results was less than 400k BT will accept the fault straight off, so we should be able to get it sorted for you pretty quickly.
johnmglen
Grafter

Thanks, I'll do that soonest.