cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

My ADSL Speed is very slow in the evenings

N/A

My ADSL Speed is very slow in the evenings

I'm a concerned user of Plus.net

Since the upgrade to the new Redback equipment, I have experienced a very slow downstream in the evenings.

In the mornings I average 50kb/s, when I get home from work, my downstream has droped to 15kb/s. The upstream sits at a constant 30kb/s.

I have tested my downstream using various methods, and all reveal 15kb/s in the evening (after 7).

Am I suffering from bad contention rates in my area? Or is this Plus.net getting swamped in the evening? Can I expect this situation to continue?

I'm confident my setup is spot on (particularly because I get good speeds in the morning). I use a Netgear DG814 router.

Can anybody offer any sensible advice? Can I find out if the contention in my area is bad?

Plus.net was brilliant two weeks ago. But I really have seen a huge drop in performance since the upgrades.

I'm a patient man, but only getting 1/4 of the expected downstream is upsetting. I'd be happy with around 40kb/s, but 15kb/s is only double that of a modem! What say you Plus.net?
8 REPLIES
Ommin
Grafter

RE: My ADSL Speed is very slow in the evenings

> I'm a concerned user of Plus.net
>
> Since the upgrade to the new Redback equipment, I have experienced a very slow downstream in the evenings.
>
> In the mornings I average 50kb/s, when I get home from work, my downstream has droped to 15kb/s. The upstream sits at a constant 30kb/s.
>
> I have tested my downstream using various methods, and all reveal 15kb/s in the evening (after 7).
>

Andrew

I am experiencing a similar problem with good upload speeds but poor download speeds. In my case the download speeds are fairly consistent throughout the day ( normally in the 200 - 250 Kbps range. ) They have been like this since the recent upgrade.

N/A

Hi,

I was too experiencing bad upload/download times.

However after running DRTCP from DSL Reports and changing a few figures, everything is super speedy!

http://www.dslreports.com/tweaks and run the tweak test. On the final step fill in the boxes not forgetting the pppoA in the final box.

What do you get? post the link here if you like. since running DrTCP my transfer efficeincy is always between 90-1000%.

>

--
Regards,

Matthew

Change someones life;
become a teacher
N/A

I had a similar prob, using a router. Kept testing my speeds, good in the morning and ***** at night. One day i tried it on my wifes pc connected through the same router and hers was cool. She has a 10meg bits lan card fitted mines a 10/100 . Any way swapped leads and stuff. I reinstalled my network card driver and this semmed to fix it, (also bought a switch now to replace my hub and my speeds are fine)

see http://wiggum.monitor.plus.net.uk/
PlusNET Technologies Bandwidth Meter

Your current bandwidth reading is:

492.20kbps

which means you can download at 61.52 KB/sec. from our servers
My downloads are great

either that or plusnet did something at the same time but i moaned about this for 2weeks solid
N/A

>
> Since the upgrade to the new Redback equipment, I have experienced a very slow downstream in the evenings.
>
> In the mornings I average 50kb/s, when I get home from work, my downstream has droped to 15kb/s. The upstream sits at a constant 30kb/s.
>
> I have tested my downstream using various methods, and all reveal 15kb/s in the evening (after 7).
>
> Am I suffering from bad contention rates in my area? Or is this Plus.net getting swamped in the evening? Can I expect this situation to continue?
>
> I'm confident my setup is spot on (particularly because I get good speeds in the morning). I use a Netgear DG814 router.
>
> Can anybody offer any sensible advice? Can I find out if the contention in my area is bad?
>
> Plus.net was brilliant two weeks ago. But I really have seen a huge drop in performance since the upgrades.
>
> I'm a patient man, but only getting 1/4 of the expected downstream is upsetting. I'd be happy with around 40kb/s, but 15kb/s is only double that of a modem! What say you Plus.net?

Ive been getting 450/250 days n 70/250 evening.
put my mtu to 1458 today n run at 460/225 has'nt dropped yet.
N/A

hey,
I get the same. We have a two computer network using a router. My comps only connected at 10mbit because i have to connect to the router through a hub. If i connect strieght to the router i get no connection to the network. Neway the currect set up seems to work ok apart from the slow speeds at night. I notice alot of responses but can anyone actually tell me how to fix it. iv been to the tweak site and cant see muchHuh
The speed tester at
http://www.dslreports.com/tweaks
always fails iv tried it a fair few times too.
ne help?
Seb
N/A

>
>
>
>
> Am I suffering from bad contention rates in my area? Or is this Plus.net getting swamped in the evening? Can I expect this situation to continue?
>
> I'm confident my setup is spot on (particularly because I get good speeds in the morning). I use a Netgear DG814 router.
>
> Can anybody offer any sensible advice? Can I find out if the contention in my area is bad?
>
> Plus.net was brilliant two weeks ago. But I really have seen a huge drop in performance since the upgrades.
>
> I'm a patient man, but only getting 1/4 of the expected downstream is upsetting. I'd be happy with around 40kb/s, but 15kb/s is only double that of a modem! What say you Plus.net?

Yes i also i've had the same problem, speeds ok in the morning, ever since they did the so called upgrade the speed in the afternoon and into the everning as been unstable. I've got a USB modem and done the MTU tweak. I did the MTU before the upgrade so thats not the problem, it was working fine then, and i have two PC's in the house, and the problem is on both machines.
Ommin
Grafter

> Hi,
>
> I was too experiencing bad upload/download times.
>
> However after running DRTCP from DSL Reports and changing a few figures, everything is super speedy!
>
> http://www.dslreports.com/tweaks and run the tweak test. On the final step fill in the boxes not forgetting the pppoA in the final box.
>
> What do you get? post the link here if you like. since running DrTCP my transfer efficeincy is always between 90-1000%.
>
> >
>
>
>
> --
> Regards,
>
> Matthew

Matthew

I have already tried downloading and running DrTCP
from DSL Reports but it makes no difference. I have tried several different settings and have yet to record a transfer efficiency reading below 96%.
Despite that my download speeds are virtually always in the 200 - 250 Kbps range. On an odd occasion they creep into the 300 - 330 Kbps range but I cannot remember when I last recorded a download speed in the 400+ range.

Carried out a Tweak Test a few minutes ago. Transfer efficiency shown as 99%.

Hugh

N/A

> > I'm a concerned user of Plus.net
> >
> > Since the upgrade to the new Redback equipment, I have experienced a very slow downstream in the evenings.
> >
> > In the mornings I average 50kb/s, when I get home from work, my downstream has droped to 15kb/s. The upstream sits at a constant 30kb/s.
> >
> > I have tested my downstream using various methods, and all reveal 15kb/s in the evening (after 7).
> >
> > Am I suffering from bad contention rates in my area? Or is this Plus.net getting swamped in the evening? Can I expect this situation to continue?
> >
> > I'm confident my setup is spot on (particularly because I get good speeds in the morning). I use a Netgear DG814 router.
> >
> > Can anybody offer any sensible advice? Can I find out if the contention in my area is bad?
> >
> > Plus.net was brilliant two weeks ago. But I really have seen a huge drop in performance since the upgrades.
> >
> > I'm a patient man, but only getting 1/4 of the expected downstream is upsetting. I'd be happy with around 40kb/s, but 15kb/s is only double that of a modem! What say you Plus.net?
>
> Yes i also i've had the same problem, speeds ok in the morning, ever since they did the so called upgrade the speed in the afternoon and into the everning as been unstable. I've got a USB modem and done the MTU tweak. I did the MTU before the upgrade so thats not the problem, it was working fine then, and i have two PC's in the house, and the problem is on both machines.

Same here but now alos getting very slow speeds in the morning as well.

NOT SATISFACTORY