cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

My ADSL Modem keeps dropping the link - but only after 1600h

N/A

Well this happens regularly, here I am playing WOW in the middle of a fight then BAM! the link goes. Some times it comes back after a few seconds and I find my character dead. Sometimes it does a "double", disconnect-connect-disconnect-connect, which means that my link to the WOW server is lost and I have to force-quit WOW, log back on to find my character dead. More money to repair stuff, long walk back etc

THIS IS FRUSTRATING.

Funnily enough it happens after 1600hrs, hmmmm

Anyway am I the only one suffering or is this generic.

I am thinking of going back to Zen.

Cry Cry Cry Cry Cry Cry Cry Cry
9 REPLIES
N/A

@ radestock
I thought my problem waas unique but I have exactly the same problem you are having except today Saturday I ahve not been able to connect till about 8.30pm.
you are not the only one in this situation
N/A

Well, funnily enough I have been having exactly the same problems, but randomly at any time of day.

After filling in the wizard and waiting for two weeks, Plusnet replied, 'try another router and the test socket', which I already informed them two weeks ago in the wizard I had already tried.

Sigh...good luck getting them to raise a fault with BT, if it is a BT fault. I seriously couldn't be arsed any more and requested a MAC, no doubt the problem will now be ignored and I look forward to a month of random resynchs.
repcomms
Grafter

My ADSL Modem keeps dropping the link

I would look a bit further afield since it could be an EMC issue. I know it might be clutching at straws but check things like: what time does the central heating kick in? - could be 16.30. Alternatively if it is random, could it be a thermostat in the boiler or the room thermostat. Another one it could be RF from your mobile phone or a passing taxi? I have had my PC lock up because the mobi was next to my mouse, but you can usually hear when it updates its HLR as a raspy noise coming through on the speakers! Just a thought? Home electronic kit is designed to be cheap, it is not designed to be immune to EMI :-)
Cheers
Bob
N/A

Re: My ADSL Modem keeps dropping the link

I would look a bit further afield since it could be an EMC issue. I know it might be clutching at straws but check things like: what time does the central heating kick in? - could be 16.30. Alternatively if it is random, could it be a thermostat in the boiler or the room thermostat. Another one it could be RF from your mobile phone or a passing taxi? I have had my PC lock up because the mobi was next to my mouse, but you can usually hear when it updates its HLR as a raspy noise coming through on the speakers! Just a thought? Home electronic kit is designed to be cheap, it is not designed to be immune to EMI :-)
Cheers
Bob

Thanks Bob,

But, I don't have central heating (wood burning stove)
I don't have a boiler (economy 7)
I don't own a mobile
And I live 'out in the sticks' , I think I saw a taxi once...

I'm starting to look bit like like a luddite!
repcomms
Grafter

OK I get the picture but by the very nature of the location it could be something along the way. Outside Plant (External Plant as some people call it) is always a problem particularly over longer distances. I know BT have it well sorted these days with jelly filled cables to keep out the moisture, crimped joints with moisture resisting gel, etc. I can see how they tear there hair out with an intermittent joint that just shows itself up once in a while. Something knocking against something, somewhere, etc etc. What happens around that time everyday somewhere on the route between you and the exchange !!
Cheers
Bob
GersFans
Grafter

Re: My ADSL Modem keeps dropping the link - but only after 1

THIS IS FRUSTRATING.

Funnily enough it happens after 1600hrs, hmmmm

Anyway am I the only one suffering or is this generic.

Your not the only one, many of us are going through the same stresses with this "ISP".

Plusnet, the customer unfriendly ISP..
craiglay
Grafter

What kind or SNR margin have you got? By default, it is about 6dB but one of my referals that lives in the countryside had constant disconnections in the evening and raising the SNR margin sorted it. I think it aims for 9-12dB now.

If they are loss of sync disconnects, changing ISP's will probably do absolutely nothing...

Craig
N/A

Well at the moment it is 5-6db but I have seen it as high a 9db

And yes it disconnected today twice at about 1630hrs.
N/A

I am still having no joy, has anyone had there problem sorted?
This is the first time I am having issues with PN that I had to get in touch but so far I am not impressed at all.