cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

My 2mb connection keeps dropping

N/A

Hi

I've got 2mb Broadband lite with 2gb monthly usage allowance.

For the past few days I've found that the connection closes if I've not used it for 1/2 hour or so. IT's happened 3 times today. I'm not up to my monthly usage and was wondering if anyone can tell me why this has suddenly started to happen.

I'm about to set up a wireless network and don;t want to have problems with the connection before I even start.3.

Hope someone can help.

Thanks

Yve
7 REPLIES
Community Veteran

What ADSL hardware do you have / are using? Does it show your line conditions (line attenuation, signal to noise for upload and download), if so please post the info.

Some have an idle timeout option which disconnect when nothing is using the connection for a defined period. Look for that and disable it.

This is certainly not something PlusNet are doing.

What do you mean by 'connection closes'? Do you lose sync with the exchange or does sync always remain and you have to do something to enable you to access the internet again?
N/A

I've got a Alcatel Speedtouch Modem (the horrible green coloured one). I've checked the properties etc and it gives me no options to check the line conditions. There are also no options to disable when nothing is using the connection.

Sorry if I wasn't very clear about the Connection closing. What I mean is the internet connection disconnects it's self and I have to open up the speedtouch dialup box and select connect to get back on line.

I've had the modem for approx 2.5 years and this has only started to happen since my upgrade to 2mb last weekend.

Yve
Community Veteran

If it's only since your speed upgrade you need to report the problem via a ticket and get PlusNet to investigate. A whoosh test (which you need to ask PlusNet to run) will give you your line attenuation (but not SNR unfortunatly) and if it's higher than 43dB that could be causing reliablility problems.

You need to fill in all the details from http://cgi.support.plus.com/faultreporting/ and psate the info into a ticket so the investigation can continue. For some reason this page is down at the moment so maybe try a bit later.
N/A

Thanks Peter.

I'll try later
stephenday
Grafter

Unfortunately this is a problem with your hardware. I used to use the same Speedtouch modem as well and suffered from the same problem.

It arises because the Speedtouch draws a lot of power from the USB port - right on the limit of the USB specification (500mA IIRC). Occasionally things go ary and it draws too much and the power management on your PC complains. When that happens you get disconnected because the modem loses sync with the exchange - very annoying, I know!

I managed to solve the problem by using a self-powered USB hub (as opposed to a a bus-powered one) which seemed to be able to supply the modem with enough power. Eventually though I just upgraded to a router. The nice thing about using a USB modem is that it means the PC it's connected to can have a real IP address instead of a private one (e.g. 192.168.x.x etc). But if you ask nicely PN will give you a block of 4 IPs so you can set up the same thing with a router. Smiley

I cant' explain why you've only just starting getting the problem. Mine was always a bit flakey. Perhaps it is more sensitive with faster line speeds...

Anyway, you can probably pick up a self-powered hub for less than £20 - I bought a Belkin one which seemed to work fine. Alternatively get yourself a decent router - I can recommend the Linksys BEFDSR41W.

Hope this helps!

Steve
LiamM
Grafter

You need to fill in all the details from http://cgi.support.plus.com/faultreporting/ and psate the info into a ticket so the investigation can continue. For some reason this page is down at the moment so maybe try a bit later.

This page has been down for a couple of days. Any idea why this is?
Community Veteran

Yes, but if I told you I would have to k...Wink

There is a problem with the system where the page is hosted and i'm not sure how long it will take to fix but I have asked if this can be hurried up.