cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

My 1Mb connection just seemed to get faster...

N/A

As of Thursday night/Friday morning my 1Mb connection seems to be faster than usual.

I normally only get 104-106KB/s max on ADSLguide's speedtest. I am all of a sudden getting 114-116KB/s! Nothing has changed at my end at all. I just started a download on the web and that went along at a constant 115KB/s - never before has my connection gone over 106KB/s. I just went and ran the PlusNet speed checker out of interest and I get 119-120KB/s!

Believe me, I have NEVER had speeds this good before and I am a total speed freak so I always notice what speeds I'm going at and I've run loads of speed tests before now. I mentioned this to someone and he said it could be becuase it is early in the morning...that could be the cause although I have run loads of speed tests in the past at these hours and my speeds have always been the same as they are throughout the day. I'm now hoping speeds will stay like this through all tomorrow, I hope it's not just a one off...
10 REPLIES
N/A

Some days u do get good connection speeds. Good 4 u i say
N/A

Well the slightly faster speeds have continued throught the whole day, so it seems it wasn't just a one-off and I rekon I will get these speeds everyday from now on. Something must have changed a PlusNet or BT's end...maybe something to do with my local exchange or something like that, I dunno.
N/A

I get the same m8. My DL speed was once 106k and now its 113k a sec which is good except for my online gaming pings but downloading off the net is quite good Wink
N/A

I get the same m8. My DL speed was once 106k and now its 113k a sec which is good except for my online gaming pings but downloading off the net is quite good Wink

What do you mean except your online gaming pings? The extra download speed shouldn't actually make any differecne to your pings. My pings are always good as long as no one is doing any thing on the connection at the same time.
N/A

Pings go by upload speed u poon. :lol: all im saying is good DL speed and crap upload speed.
N/A

Pings go by upload speed u poon. :lol: all im saying is good DL speed and crap upload speed.

Upload speed only influences pings to an extent. I can ping 10-20ms to some good UK servers (with 256k upload speed)...I'm pretty sure even if I had an 8Mbit upload they wouldn't be much better you know... :roll:
N/A

Higher upload or download speeds do not have any bearing on the pings, except under times of high usage.

The time it takes your data to get from A to B is known as latency.

The maximum burst speed (speeds are rated at a burst speed. This is the maximum amount of bits that can flow accross the line at any one moment in time. It is rated as burst, because it does not mean you can sustain that maximum forever) dictates how much data can flow.

Latency can affect on how long you can sustain maximum burst bandwidth.

Increasing the burst bandwidth does not always mean a change in the latency.

Latency is reflected by the speed of the technology in use. Look at satellite. There is a 1/2 second delay in data on satellite, or a 500ms latency. Changeing the speed of the link to the satellite won't help, because, data transit can not operate above the speed of light.
N/A

Still i wished we had better uploads speeds. What games u guys playing online.
N/A

I only play Quake III at the moment.
N/A

Medal of honor ,COD ,battlefield veitnam Wink