cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Multiple Static IP's vs Single Static IP

N/A

Perhaps someone could take the time to explain this to me, as although the support team have told me one thing, I dont want to waste their time getting them to explain it to me.

Basically ive been told that whether I have a single IP, or a block of 4, I will still end up with all (3) of my PC's behind NAT on my router ?

I understand losing IP's to router, broadcast etc and what i was hoping for at least, was to have one machine with its own IP address with no NAT, and the second & third machines sitting behind the router with NAT, also leaving me the possibility of connecting other computers such as my PDA or when my mates visit with laptops etc.

This also allows me to get around the problem of SSH'ing into two of my machines from work, where I am limited to the ports I can use.

Like I said, I would appreciate if someone could give me a full explanation of this, and thanks for anybodys time who does reply Smiley

Ee-Ore Smiley
3 REPLIES
N/A

What you want may be possible, though that will depend on the connection equipment you are using.

Most routers will only operate in NAT or non-NAT mode, thus allowsing multiple static IP's or only 1.

What router are you using?
N/A

Speedtouch 510 v4
N/A

hi, a SAR 110 adsl modem/router does this perfect and what you are referring to is called ip unnumbered which when setup on the router and your pc, binds the external ip address to your pc.

Moderators note by Chris: Duplicate post removed