cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Multiple Static IP Addresses

N/A

I've finally started to make the move from BT Yahoo! to PlusNet and, whilst I wait for the migration to happen, I've been pondering the usefulness of multiple static IP addresses. adslguide.org.uk suggest that PlusNet will give you up to 16 static IPs if you have reasonable justification (though I haven't found anything about this on the PlusNet site so far) which leads to the question "what is reasonable justification?".

I think that a couple of additional static IPs would make my life easier in terms of running webservers on several of the machines on my network and various other things that currently require an SSH hop through the gateway machine. However, I guess it could all be achieved through port forwarding, etc. in some way. So, how much persuasion would I have to use to get multiple IPs? And is there an additional charge?

Paul.
5 REPLIES
N/A

There is no additional charge for multiple IP's.

However, giving you information on justification is a hard one. Only you know if you could justify mutliple addresses.

First off, remeber than 4 IPs result with only 1 usable (2 network addresses, 1 router). 8 IPs result in 5 usable, 16 IPs is 13 usable.

Then raise a ticket stating the exact reasons you want them, and what equipment you are using them for. You may be required to fill a form, depending on your needs.

IPs are a scarse resourse. If you hve no justification for the IP's, or you lie to get them, you will be frowned upon.
Community Veteran

It most situations, if you intend to run a single server on your ADSL line then a NAT router and port forwarding is all you need and thus a single IP will do the job perfectly well.

It's only if for some reason you can't use NAT or you have multiple webservers with each requiring a separate IP address. If this is the case then that is good enough grounds for Plusnet to issue a block of IPs.
N/A

Thanks for the info. I certainly understand that IPs are scarce (roll on IPv6, eh?) and I wouldn't request any more than I would need to use (if, indeed, that is any). I currently use NAT which is fine for almost everything; I'm looking to set up web servers on another couple of machines for various reasons and I have to admit I don't know much about port forwarding yet. Thought I'd check out the position with multiple IPs so I know the options when I look into this in some more detail. Am I right in thinking that I'd run into problems if I wanted to run multiple https sites with just one static IP?

Paul.
Community Veteran

Running multiple websites on a single IP and single PC is perfectly possible and is very common - this is how plusnet and many other ISPs supply webspace / webhosting for multiple domains.

However, if you really mean https (secure connections) then that is a different situation and the security certificates often need to be issues for a specifiic IPs I believe although it's been a while since I looked at secure web services, so it may be much simpler now.
N/A

Yes - I'm very comfortable with the idea of running multiple sites on a single PC (and I do this on my UML colo box) but my reasons for wishing to set up webservers on multiple boxes are basically that there are three of us sharing the connection and we all have our own views on the OSes, webservers, etc. that we would like to administer for our own sites :-) I guess it's more of an educational thing than a necessity and, having begun looking into it, it seems that port forwarding ought to be perfectly adequate for this.

In the future it's fairly likely that we'll want to set up some secure sites, hence the question in the previous post, but I guess I can cross that bridge when I come to it!