cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Multiple IP's.

N/A

Multiple IP's.

Hey,

I recently contacted +net asking if I could get 2 IPs instead of the one [I run 2 webservers with FTPs, they can't both operate on the default port, and when I change the FTP's port, people using a nat router have problems, also the webserver has to be 81 or some other setting]. Anyway.

They agreed, and set it up for me almost instantly. I was told I now had 2 useable IPs, 212.56.93.185 and 212.56.93.186 [212.56.93.185 for the router with port forwarding to box1, and 212.56.93.186 directly for box2].

Because I'm using a router, does this mean I need to buy a separate dsl modem for box2? I tried using multiple nat on my router [d-link dsl-504] but that just seems to break the connection to all of the other machines.

Anyone experienced with this care to help?

Thanks.
17 REPLIES
jberry
Grafter

Multiple IP's.

Hi there,

The is a guide to setting up your router with multiple IP addresses here .

This will allow a second machine to have a public IP address, the other one will be assigned to the router. You will then have to port forward the required ports on your router (20, 21 & 80 for FTP and web) to your other machine.

You definately dont need a second router but if you have problems I would try and contact D-Link.

Another option, although I am not sure it is possible on your router, is to set it up in bridged mode - where the IP address of the router is passed through to an internal machine. I am afraid that I have no idea how to do this Sad

Regards,
N/A

Multiple IP's.

Ah, that guide is brilliant [it's even got a section just for my router!]

Thanks very much.
N/A

Multiple IP's.

Hmm..thing is. I have a total of 6 machines on the network [4 use the router, and the other two go through a hub > the router] by turning off dhcp it messes those up..

Am I right in thinking that all of the machines [except the one which has it's own IP] should be setup to use 212.56.93.185 [which is the IP the router is given] as their IPs?

I set the gateway to 212.56.93.185 aswell...which I think is wrong.
mssystems
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Multiple IP's.

I think you are flogging a dead horse!

Anything connected to the inside LAN interface of your router needs to be on the same subnet. Usually that would be a private 192.168.X.X or 10.X.X.X address which are not routable on the public network.

You could try getting an 8 address public subnet and putting your router into bridge mode.

Regards
Matt
N/A

Multiple IP's.

I looked for bridge mode, but could find nothing mentioned, I guess my router doesn't support it.

Is the "multiple nat" route worth exploring? It looks promising.

[I don't think +net would give me an 8 address subnet Smiley]

Edit: On many sites describing the d-link dsl504 they say :

"Routing Features
Internet Protocols : PPPoE, PPPoA, IPoA, Bridge "

So..it must be there..?

Oh - on the "Multiple PVC page" where I chose PPPoA VC MUX there is a Bridge VC Mux option.

I think I understand what bridged is : All machines on my internal network get their own [public] IP address..hence why I need an 8 address subnet..right?
mssystems
Rising Star

Multiple IP's.

If you can configure more than one public IP (a global IP pool) on the router you could use multiple NAT. I just scanned throught the DSL504 user manual and I could not see any mention of multiple NAT.

Confession I had a few beers last night and forgot about the network address. To bridge 6 hosts onto the internet you need a 16 address subnet.

To set the router in IP bridge mode you put the same public IP on both the WAN and the LAN port. For this to work all systems on the LAN must be on the same subnet as the router LAN port, hence you need 9 public IPs to connect all your 6 LAN hosts.
6 hosts
1 router
1 broadcast
1 network

Not all routers support IP bridge mode but you can test your 504 using the 4 IPs you have.
1 host
1 router
1 network
1 broadcast

"Routing Features
Internet Protocols : PPPoE, PPPoA, IPoA, Bridge "

Leave this setting alone. It is referring to the PPP encapsulation which is at a lower level and nothing to do with your problem.

HTH
Matt
Community Veteran

Multiple IP's.

I looked for bridge mode, but could find nothing mentioned, I guess my router doesn't support it.

Which version of the 504 do you have.
It was definately there on the first version but I now have a "GenerationII" Dlink 504 and it has changed somewhat.
If you look under the DHCP option there is a button at the bottom of the page that allows enable or disable.
I can't be sure of this but I suspect that if you disable DHCP then it will put you in bridge mode.
mssystems
Rising Star

Multiple IP's.

I will guarantee that disabling DHCP on the router will have no effect on bridging and routing. DHCP is a separate protocol for handing out IPs from a pool. Your PC broadcasts a request for an IP and your router responds with an available IP. Turning it off just stops it responding to the broadcast.

HTH
Matt
Community Veteran

Multiple IP's.

Yes I've now managed to find the CD with the setup PDF files on for this second edition and what it seems to say here is that if you change the encaplulation to bridged then the menus will change on the D-link.
This may bring up the required options.
Copied from PDF file

4 Select the Encapsulation method used for your connection. The options available are PPPoA VC mux, PPPoA LLC, PPPoE LLC, IPoA VC mux, IPoA LLC, Bridge VC mux or Bridge LLC. The default Encapsulation is PPPoA LLC. If you select an IPoA or Bridge Encapsulation, the user changeable variables displayed in the browser will change. These different variables are described in step 5.1 – 5.3.

Hope this helps
N/A

Multiple IP's.

Ah ok, I shall mess around a bit. I'm also GenerationII. Thing is, even if I get bridged mode operating - I'd still need 9+ addresses, which I very much doubt [and rightfully so] plusnet would give to me.

Forgive my foolish question but : there's no way to give all machines but 1 the same address [and give that one machine it's own address].

I have a feeling multiple nat is the only way to go however..
Community Veteran

Multiple IP's.

Forgive my foolish question but : there's no way to give all machines but 1 the same address [and give that one machine it's own address].

No way that I can think of. If you had machines all with the same address they would conflict with each other.
N/A

Multiple IP's.

Hmm I guess I shall have to give up then Sad

Should I contact +net and tell them to disable the multiple IPs? Are they wasting resources with me not using them, or is it a waste of their time to switch it back?
Community Veteran

Multiple IP's.

IP addresses are a rare commodity, I'm sure they would appreciate you releasing them. Cheesy
N/A

Multiple IP's.

Ah ok, do you spose there's any way of them giving me back my old IP? I'd grown rather fond of it Smiley