cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Mtu and Rwin settings :)

N/A

LO all as u can see in my last threads the problems ive been having but now that seems to be ok. A BT engineer was called out and found that there was a fault in our line and said that the cable going from the line to the telegraph pole was about 30 years old and had weathered realy badly. so he changed it for a new cable and things seem to be ok now i get about 700Kbs on the speed test for a 1 meg line which i think is ok but ive tweaked my RWIN settings to 1478 and my MTU setting to 31636 but i keep geting the same results. Is there any other way or can anyone tell me some RWIN and MTU settings that would recommend my connection properly. Plus the phone cable i use for my ADSL that goes to the line only cost me £3 from the computer fair could this be why im not geting round about 800 900Kbs in the speed test?.

CHEERS

grazz.Smiley
7 REPLIES
Community Veteran

What ADSL modem/router are you using?
N/A

Grazz: "ive tweaked my RWIN settings to 1478 and my MTU setting to 31636"

I would hope that you mean the other way around, i.e. MTU 1478/RWIN 31636?
N/A

oh yeah sorry the other way round i meant RWIN settings 31636 mtu 1478
N/A

The ADSL modem im using is a speedtouch 330
Community Veteran

OK, thats a USB device.

Some modems/routers have an option to set the MTU value which it uses to the ISP and overrides what you set your PC to. Your modem does not have that so the MTU value you set is the one actually being used.

MTU values of 1430, 1458 and 1500 are worth trying. Are you rebooting your PC after each change? If not then the change will niot actually be used until you reboot.
N/A

what about the RWIN settings?
N/A

Deduct 40 from the MTU value eg. 1390= MSS for an MTU of 1430.
then multiply this figure by 22. (22xMSS)
Try other RWIN values in Multiples of between 12 - 24 x MSS
You already have the optimum setting for a 1 Meg line and a
Speedtouch USB I don't think your going to get a huge
improvement, but give it a go.
Alec