cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Moving

N/A

Moving

Hi.

Can someone tell me the position on moving to a new home, but keeping my 'phone number?

Do I have to cancell and re-order? Or does common sense prevail?
--
**Proposed site for witty or profound statement**
8 REPLIES
N/A

RE: Moving

> Hi.
>
> Can someone tell me the position on moving to a new home, but keeping my 'phone number?
>
> Do I have to cancell and re-order? Or does common sense prevail?
>
> --
> **Proposed site for witty or profound statement**

Sorry, common sense does not prevail, I have just moved house and taken my phone number with we. Plusnet have said I need to pay £58 connection fee (again) to be re-enabled at my new address. As I am 6 months into a yearly contract with Plusnet I have little choice in the matter. To make matters worse the address that I am moving to already has broadband enabled. Seems to me this is a license to print money from BT/Plusnet.

--
My pc at fairly regular intervals seems for no reason to access its two hard drives, the problem with this is that because the pc is doing extra work the fan on the psu cuts in and stays on for ages. The fact that this fan sounds like a plane taking off is driving me crazy. I have a 1ghz athlon, 512mb ram, an abit KT7 raid m/b and running windows 98. Any ideas why this is happening or is there a cure.
N/A

Hi,

I will address the cost point first:

PlusNet does not make ANY money from this process, in fact arranging a movers cease and re-provides takes around an hour of support time per customer. This equates to a cost of about £45 (Which we obviously don't pass on). The only cost is the standard BT activation fee of £50 + VAT for activating ADSL on your new line.

The issue here is that BT need to send an engineer out to your exchange in order to connect your physical line to ADSL. We will have to cease your old line (Another exchange visit). The charges BT make for this are not that unrealistic IMHO, based on the amount of work that has to go into the job. BT are working on a way to automate these processes, at which time the price for this process will come down. Until then, it's all a manual process.

In order to request your line move you will need to raise a ticket via Contact Us. You should include all your new address details and advise when you would like the process to be undertaken. Depending on how smoothly it goes you could be without ADSL for upto a week. The move of your ADSL line won't affect your minimum contract or any of your acocunt details.

Let me knwo if you need any more information.

Regards,

Ian Wild
PlusNet Customer Support

By The way, you should replace your CPU fan athlete :-)
N/A

Let me tell you of my "moving" experience...

First, I was naive enough to assume that as I was moving next door- a total of 20 metres- and keeping my existing phone number, I would not lose my broadband connection. BT did nothing to dispel this illusion when I called them to request the change of line. They asked if I was on broadband, and when I replied "yes", they asked if I wanted to transfer to BT Openworld! In classical BT manner, they failed to reconnect my line on time;- it took them 48 hours to restore my voice connection, and of course my broadband was lost. Have you ever tried getting a knowledgeable response from BT's "Help" line? You can't speak to a technician, you can't get the current status of a problem and you can't register a complaint. They are archetypal chocolate teapots. They simply refer you back to your ISP. Your ISP refers you back to BT etc, etc.

Now then, answer this...if the lead time for activation is ten days, why am I still waiting to be reactivated after three weeks?Why am I told that Plusnet "can't raise an order with BT" for days on end, and then when the order is raised, why am I confronted with a message that the order has been rejected because of "incompatible rental equipment"? (ehHuhHuh?) And why am I being asked to pay a reactivation fee of close to sixty quid, when I could sign up to a new ISP and have the activation fee waived? Someone's making money out of activation, that's for sure. Meanwhile, I have to shell out the line costs for a slow modem connection to add insult to injury.

Freedom2Surf, brace yourself:- I'm coming to you!

N/A

Thank you for your replies.

Althlete: Yep, first move, replace fan.

Support: I think that if you give enough notice then the bloke who goes to adjust the 'gubbins' to put my old number onto a different line, for £30+, could also enable said line. For B.T. to charge £50 on top (£80+) is excessive IMHO. The 'One man one job' days are gone. It can be done in one visit. I also understand that these cost are nothing to do with you, and I'm extremly happy with Plusnet and your service.

Cogent1: Moving next door? It would have been easier to drill through into the rear or your old 'phone socket and 'borrowed' the ADSL. ( That was supposed to be a joke. - OK)

Regards

Phil
N/A

Thank you for your replies.

Althlete: Yep, first move, replace fan.

Support: I think that if you give enough notice then the bloke who goes to adjust the 'gubbins' to put my old number onto a different line, for £30+, could also enable said line. For B.T. to charge £50 on top (£80+) is excessive IMHO. The 'One man one job' days are gone. It can be done in one visit. I also understand that these cost are nothing to do with you, and I'm extremly happy with Plusnet and your service.

Cogent1: Moving next door? It would have been easier to drill through into the rear or your old 'phone socket and 'borrowed' the ADSL. ( That was supposed to be a joke. - OK)

Regards

Phil
--
N/A

Opps!!

Sorry :0

--
N/A

> Support: I think that if you give enough notice then the bloke who goes to adjust the 'gubbins' to put my old number onto a different line, for £30+, could also enable said line. For B.T. to charge £50 on top (£80+) is excessive IMHO. The 'One man one job' days are gone. It can be done in one visit. I also understand that these cost are nothing to do with you, and I'm extremly happy with Plusnet and your service.

Hi Colin,

Yes, we should be able to get BT to co-ordinate themselves, but it isn't always possible. They do have seperate engineers for ADSL but I get the impression it all depends on where abouts you are in the country and who gets assigned the job.

The other problem is that BT Wholesale really struggle with moving while retaining the old number because their ordering systems need to be 'tricked' into placing an order on a line which appears to already have ADSL. They are working on a specific process for movers, but it won't be available in time for you I'm afraid.

Do BT really charge £80 to move your number to a new line?

Ian Wild
PlusNet Customer Support
PlusNet
N/A

>
> Do BT really charge £80 to move your number to a new line?
>
> Ian Wild
> PlusNet Customer Support
> PlusNet

Good ol' BT.

Sorry, I didn't make that clear. It's £30+ to keep your old number, I was adding the activation charge onto that.

Regards

--
Phil