cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Moving house

N/A

Moving house

Does anybody know what happens to broadband when you move house? By that I mean that I will be leaving the country soon but want to sell my house as 'broadband enabled'. Will the new owners just be able to change the ownership details, as they would the phone line and the electricity?
5 REPLIES
Community Veteran

Moving house

I doubt it!
Its not just a question of the exchange equipment on your line but the routing has been set up as well so that your logon name goes to Plusnet.

You cant just hand over the whole thing to a new user, complete with billing and everything.
N/A

Moving house

I don't think this is possible. I enquired before on behalf of my sister, who lives in a rented flat that she'll soon be leaving, and the response was that if the name on the phone bill changes, BT automatically disconnect any ADSL activations.
Community Veteran

Moving house

You need to cancel your account with Plusnet so the line get's deactivated and you then have no further responsibility regarding costs. In any case it may well happen automatically once you tell BT you no longer wont the phone line. Any new owner who wants broadband will have to select their own ISP and pay the activation charges as necessary.

The new owners could actually be transfering their own broadband services to the new address so would not need your connection anyway. Play safe and cancel your connection.

To be honest, being broadband enabled is not really a selling point now a days as the vast majority of the country can get it now.
N/A

Moving house

Thanks to all for replying. Nothing's ever simple is it?
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff
Fixes: 1

Moving house

Hi,

Unfortunately it isn't quite as simple. As soon as you change the ownership of the phone line BT will cease all services on that line including ADSL.
At present you can't transfer the ownership of an ADSL connection to someone else.