Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Moving House What Do i need to do?

Redviper
Grafter

Hi
i have asked this before but as its now coming a realitly i want to ask again, and need some expert advise.

I am moving house soon, wich means a new telephone number (yet to be connected to BT) with a new Area Code

I already have a a 2mbs connection but according to the BT Site this is the message that i got when i put my new postcode in

"Your exchange is ADSL enabled, and our initial check on your postcode indicates that your line should be able to have an ADSL broadband service that provides a line rate up to 1Mbps. However due to the length of your line the 1Mbps service may require an engineer visit who will, where possible, supply the broadband service.

Our check also indicates that your line should be able to support a potential ADSL Max broadband line rate of 2Mbps or greater.

The actual ADSL Max line rate supportable will be determined during the first 10 days of use, after which time the highest stable rate possible will be set.

If you decide to place an order, a further test will be performed to confirm if your line is suitable for the service you wish to purchase.

Thank you for your interest."

HOWEVER

If i put my current postcode in i get this

"Your exchange is ADSL enabled, and our initial check on your postcode indicates that your line should be able to have an ADSL broadband service that provides a line rate up to 2Mbps.

Our check also indicates that your line should be able to support a potential ADSL Max broadband line rate of 6Mbps up to 8Mbps.

The actual ADSL Max line rate supportable will be determined during the first 10 days of use, after which time the highest stable rate possible will be set.

If you decide to place an order, a further test will be performed to confirm if your line is suitable for the service you wish to purchase.

Thank you for your interest."

So the Questions that I have are

1. does the above mean that even though i am moving to a larger town I have to have less speedHuhHuh??

2. How do i move over to my new number/address

3. will it cost anything?

Thanks in advance

Ste
2 REPLIES
Karmik
Grafter

It's nothing to do with the size of the town, it's to do with your proximity to the exchange. The quality of the wires from the exchange also affect your speed.
If you want my advice, check if the bigger town has cable available at your address, because you will never get a decent speed, even with max dsl.
If youi still want ADSL, you can move your account using your member centre account details screen.
It will cost min of GBP 5.88 I think, but that is deferring the 50 odd quid fee that one way or another, you will pay. (Unless you stick with PN for five years).
N/A

This deferred fee for moving house, is it added on top of the deferred activation fee, or does it become the new deferred activation fee?