cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Move to BBYW are your own peril!!

N/A

So, I was happily on the PAYG Broadband tariff running at 8MB upload/ 460KB download and easily achieving minimum rates of 2Mbps or usually far far better.

Then a couple of weeks ago I saw a tempting offer to move to Broadband Your Way, for the same performance for a few quid less - and so I signed up. On the day they moved me over, they bumped me from the plusdsl2 domain without telling me such that my wife was left for three days with no net connection at all. At least they owned up with an apology.

Then to cap that, on moving back to the plusdsl domain, I found that they stuffed me with download rates of no better than 80kbps (according to btspeedtester). Incidentally, it's near impossible to get this tool to run to completion as the connection times out during the test. I can only get a successful run rate of about one in twenty. This ticket (21906686) has been open for nearly two weeks. Do you think I should get a refund? No one seems to have a clue and I am left hanging from one week to the next.

Take my advice - avoid BBYW at all costs - I wish I had.
12 REPLIES
madjbright
Grafter

@billmcf, I am sorry about your experience. I have switched to BBYW Option 2 from PAYG and gave noticed no problems at all. Which Option are you on?

Apparently you can request to be swirched back to PAYG if you are not happy with BBYW. That would show whether the switch caused the problem or there is something else.

David
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 158

Sorry to hear you have had problems since moving to BBYW.
Broadband Your Way has different traffic prioritisation to PAYG and as the RIN trial was only specific to PAYG customers this is removed when a customer leaves this service.

We are looking at why your speeds are so low, nothing obvious stands out on the account so the ticket is with our networks team for more in depth investigation. Unfortunately as its a bank holiday weekend you may find yourself waiting slightly longer than normal for this to be resolved.
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Chris Parr
 Plusnet Help Team
Nick_Russell
Grafter

Broadband Your Way has different traffic prioritisation to PAYG and as the RIN trial was only specific to PAYG customers this is removed when a customer leaves this service.

I have switched to BBYW from PAYG and still on RIN.
Community Veteran

Have you rebooted your router since the switch?

If not the you may be paying for BBYW, but still connected as a PAYG customer!

Chilly
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 158

I have switched to BBYW from PAYG and still on RIN.

This shouldn't be the case, if you haven't rebooted your router yet make sure that you change your username back to @plusdsl.net afterwards otherwise you won't be able to connect.
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Chris Parr
 Plusnet Help Team
N/A

Yep, I've rebooted my router on numerous occasions in an attempt to sort the problem at this end. I've even completley wiped it and re-entered all of the configuration data by hand (there's not much) - made no difference. At this end, my connection to the exchange is as follows:

ADSL Link Downstream Upstream
Connection Speed 8128 kbps 448 kbps
Line Attenuation 15 db 3 db
Noise Margin 12 db 28 db

I've also used seperate computers to run the speed test. But I am way beyond that now...
If PlusNET can't fix it by next week then I'll request a move back to PAYG.
Community Veteran

What does connections settings -> high speed broadband say your data rate is?
N/A

If you mean on the PC, then it's 100Mbs (on 10/100BaseT to the router).

If you mean on the router/modem itself, then it's as I said at - (pasted)...
DownStream Connection Speed 8128 kbps
UpStream Connection Speed 448 kbps

Otherwise, I'm not sure which reference you're alluding to.
N/A

OOPS! I just got what you meant.

The BBYW tarriff is Option-1 at 8000 kbps
(... even though I barely get 80kbps).
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff
Fixes: 1

Hi,

What does the BT Speedtest show:

http://www.plus.net/support/broadband/troubleshooting/bt_speed_tester.shtml

in particular I'm looking for the IP profile.
N/A

Yee-hah!

PlusNET reports that the profile was wrong and all is now OK. I ran a BT speedtest and got 5847 kbps.

Many thanks to all at PlusNET support.
Community Veteran

So not a problem with BBYW afterall Wink