cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

More SNR Confusion

N/A

More SNR Confusion

If I hadn't read all this info on SNR I'd be happy! I'm getting a good constant speed (sync at 5.5mbps, speed tests say 3.8mbps / 448kbps) and I never seem to get disconnected.

I've been connected for about a week and my stable rate is currently at 4500kbps.

The thing that worries / confuses me is that my SNR / Attenuation still seems the opposite to what it should. I understand this is because of MAX Adsl, but what does this mean overall? Will my speeds start to drop?

At the moment I'm 44.5db Attenuation and SNR is 5.5. I'm about 3kms away from the exchange. Everybody else on the island is getting 1-2mbps so I feel very lucky at the moment!!

Thanks, and sorry for being dumb (again)

Oliver
2 REPLIES
N/A

More SNR Confusion

Your attenuation is about right for the distance, mine is 45db with a similar distance from the exchange. The lower this figure is the better. The SNR of 5.5db is just below what is normally regarded as the minimum level of 6db for reliable connection. But if you are having no problems I would not worry about it. The higher the SNR value the better.
Highlighted
N/A

More SNR Confusion

Thanks. I feel better now. I thought for a while this might be a sign my connection is going bad ways. I think my speeds must be good because of the low population using the exchange!