Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Modem....

N/A

Modem....

Hi ,

Help!!

Im having probs with my Modem....

It is an Efficient Networks Speedstream 3060 Internal Modem. It is installed fine on my computer but i cant seem to connect to the internet. According to PlusNet Cust Serv i need to create a new Dial-Up Networking connection. However , to do this i need to select my new modem. The modem is installed on my computer as a Network Adaptor but not a Modem (according to Control Panel--->System) Is there anyway to make it a modem or is there a secret way to connect to ADSL that i dont know about!

Please help as this is REALLY battering my head!

regards
Si
3 REPLIES
N/A

RE: Modem....

> Hi ,
>
> Help!!
>
> Im having probs with my Modem....
>
> It is an Efficient Networks Speedstream 3060 Internal Modem. It is installed fine on my computer but i cant seem to connect to the internet. According to PlusNet Cust Serv i need to create a new Dial-Up Networking connection. However , to do this i need to select my new modem. The modem is installed on my computer as a Network Adaptor but not a Modem (according to Control Panel--->System) Is there anyway to make it a modem or is there a secret way to connect to ADSL that i dont know about!
>
> Please help as this is REALLY battering my head!
>
> regards
> Si
Hi,

My PCI modem came with its own connection configuration software, (hopefully yours did too, if not look on the mfr's web site) and yes it does show as a network adaptor in system. I was also trying to work out how to get this lovely new connection to do anything - check the e-mail you should have received from customer support with the Data Circuit information and feed these into the configuration setup. Username and password, settings, VPI: 0, VCI: 38, Data Link Encapsulation: PPPoA, PPP properties: VC Multiplexed, and finally the two settings that suddenly made it all work, the Primary and Secondary DNS server addresses. To access these, go into the My PlusNet Connection Details page on the portal, and look under the other Settings for Manual Connection heading about two thirds of the way down the page. After that it was mainly tweaking IE settings to make it the default Internet connection. Under Windows XP showing all connections reveals a DSL dial up connection via ADSL WAN adaptor alongside my old dial up (this is the actual internet service)as well as a LAN or High Speed Internet Connection which is permanently connected while the computer is on, which I take to refer to the connection over which the internet service is provided. Hope this helps.

A.

N/A

Hi mate...

> My PCI modem came with its own connection configuration software, (hopefully yours did too, if not look on the mfr's web site) and yes it does show as a network adaptor in system. I was also trying to work out how to get this lovely new connection to do anything - check the e-mail you should have received from customer support with the Data Circuit information and feed these into the configuration setup. Username and password, settings, VPI: 0, VCI: 38, Data Link Encapsulation: PPPoA, PPP properties: VC Multiplexed, and finally the two settings that suddenly made it all work, the Primary and Secondary DNS server addresses. To access these, go into the My PlusNet Connection Details page on the portal, and look under the other Settings for Manual Connection heading about two thirds of the way down the page. After that it was mainly tweaking IE settings to make it the default Internet connection. Under Windows XP showing all connections reveals a DSL dial up connection via ADSL WAN adaptor alongside my old dial up (this is the actual internet service)as well as a LAN or High Speed Internet Connection which is permanently connected while the computer is on, which I take to refer to the connection over which the internet service is provided. Hope this helps.
>
> A.
>
>
Its getting the modem recognised as a connection method that is causing the prob , when i create a Dial-Up Connection it isnt there PLUS when i go to Control Panel--->Network there SHOULD be an option to setup PPP on my system. This option isnt there...i have something called ATM but no PPP. Also , when i enter the VPI/VCI into my modem setup it doesnt recognise these values at all.
Im using Windows 98 by the way...

Pleaseeeee if anyones got any ideas help me out cos i really am stuck!

mucho appreciato
Si

N/A

> Hi mate...
>
> > My PCI modem came with its own connection configuration software, (hopefully yours did too, if not look on the mfr's web site) and yes it does show as a network adaptor in system. I was also trying to work out how to get this lovely new connection to do anything - check the e-mail you should have received from customer support with the Data Circuit information and feed these into the configuration setup. Username and password, settings, VPI: 0, VCI: 38, Data Link Encapsulation: PPPoA, PPP properties: VC Multiplexed, and finally the two settings that suddenly made it all work, the Primary and Secondary DNS server addresses. To access these, go into the My PlusNet Connection Details page on the portal, and look under the other Settings for Manual Connection heading about two thirds of the way down the page. After that it was mainly tweaking IE settings to make it the default Internet connection. Under Windows XP showing all connections reveals a DSL dial up connection via ADSL WAN adaptor alongside my old dial up (this is the actual internet service)as well as a LAN or High Speed Internet Connection which is permanently connected while the computer is on, which I take to refer to the connection over which the internet service is provided. Hope this helps.
> >
> > A.
> >
> >
> Its getting the modem recognised as a connection method that is causing the prob , when i create a Dial-Up Connection it isnt there PLUS when i go to Control Panel--->Network there SHOULD be an option to setup PPP on my system. This option isnt there...i have something called ATM but no PPP. Also , when i enter the VPI/VCI into my modem setup it doesnt recognise these values at all.
> Im using Windows 98 by the way...
>
> Pleaseeeee if anyones got any ideas help me out cos i really am stuck!
>
> mucho appreciato
> Si
>
>Simon,

Don't panic, I think some other Speedstream users have been there too. A quick Google search under Speedstream threw up some interesting results. You can download an updated driver with PPPoA support from the manufacturer's web site, and there was also a piece about configuring the connection over PPPoA by someone who managed to work it out for himself.
Look at http://www.optimizing.net/w2k3060.htm and see if that helps!

Keep trying,

A.