cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Modem to start automatically

N/A

hi,

My sister just signed up for the BB+ package. Is there anyway to get the modem to automatically start when she turns on the PC? Tried adding the connection to the startup folder, but that doesn't always work as the modem needs to authenticate first before it can commence dialling so ends up with an error dialog box.....

A router is one answer, but she doesn't want the expense.

any ideas?

John
4 REPLIES
N/A

Modem connection replying Ivan

Hi John,

So from what your saying here the problem isnt the automatic modem dialup (even though its BB+) the problem is you want automatic login? is that right! In other words you want the WHOLE process to be completely automatic at startup both dailing up and login.

Ivan
--------------------------------------------------
F9 FOL Forum Moderator
F9 Broadband Premier 2MB User
Your Forum Your Voice,Get Involved!
N/A

A BB router these days is only around £60 for a DG834 (The non-wireless version). I find the added security of having a hardware (okay for the pedantic it's a software firewall as the dg834 is running linux and uses IPtables for firewall) firewall *and* a software firewall is worth it.

If she's not going to do that you'll need to find a way to insert a delay before connecting or to make the modem act as a service so it runs in the background all the time.

Will scratch the brain cells once I've come back from exercising the dog.
N/A

Ivn2mod - yes you are right. She wants the Pc to startup and connect to the internet straight away.... If I recall you used to be able to do it with the old Binatone 500 USB modem (my friend had one of these) as it was feature on the config page...
N/A

Replying Ivan

Hello Once Again,

OK! so she wants the whole process to be completely automatic, Yes! apart from putting a dialup short cut into your windows startup group. I have a feeling that if you take a look in the "DialUp Network" (DUN) within windows for your ISP or internet connection, I think there is an option to setup the login to be automatic.

**Click on the DUN, next right click with your mouse and you should then see a small floating menu, on this menu you should see "properties", select this option and the page that opens has a number of tabs. WIthin one of those Tabs you should find an option for the DUN to remember (save) both your username & password (I think its just a small tick box option), also uncheck any item that says "prompt for username & pasword". Once you have done these items you need to close the DUN and OK any options.

**The next step would be to reboot the system to test if the whole process works as she requires (i.e. that the modem launches and that the login is automatic too). Give that a go, good luck :lol:

Ivan
--------------------------------------------------
F9 FOL Forum Moderator
F9 Broadband Premier 2MB User
Your Forum Your Voice,Get Involved!