cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Modem to router

taywood
Grafter

Modem to router

I'm thinking of switching to Option 2 but being an old guy I'm a little worried about using a router since I know nothing about them. Will a router be yet another cause of anxiety.

I believe there are lots of things to be setup and tweaked and observed whereas its just so easy with a modem.
I've no need of wireless so thats one less complication for me.
10 REPLIES
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff
Fixes: 1

Modem to router

Most routers these days are pretty straight foward to set up, the Voyager 210 that we supply is one of the easiest I've seen. Have a read through the setup guide here and see what you think:

http://www.plus.net/support/broadband/hardware/voyager210.shtml

If you want to get the absolute most out of your connection then you can do some tweaking, but that's the same with a USB modem as well really. Most of the time there's no need though and a router will just work with the only setup required being what's in the guide above.
Community Veteran

Modem to router

If you are happy with your modem why change?

Just because BBYW is supplied with the option of a free* router does not mean that you have to use a router.

* Also remember that "Free" router has a deferred activation charge, if you leave within 12 months.

Chilly
N/A

Modem to router

If you use a modem then your pc's Ip is live on the internet and anyone hacking would get into your pc with a router the ip is the router and your pc is hidden and cant easily be reached.

Just think of the IP as you home address so every one can see your home address.

A router is also independent of your O/S so you cant mess it up the same
Community Veteran

Modem to router

Good point, providing its a NAT router, its worth changing just for the added protection.

Chilly
taywood
Grafter

Modem to router

I switched to Option 2 and I got sent the free router that Dave Tomlinson referred to (plus P&P )

I was taken in by your talk of firewall and extra protection, but all I've got is another modem but with an extra light.

Looks like I've been suckered again.
N/A

Modem to router

This is a free one port integrated modem and router that includes NAT (Network Address Translation). Due to the way NAT works, allowing multiple computers to share the same ADSL connection (although in your case you'd need to buy an additional wireless or wired router in order to physically add additional computers to your network) only inbound packets sent from a source that you are already connected to will be accepted into the network.

That is exactly what a firewall is- something that blocks unsolicited data.

Using this device over ethernet will reduce the load on your computer (as the router is maintaining the connection), increase reliability and almost certainly increase your security as you can't be subjected to random "drive by" attacks.
jrgrahamcov
Grafter

Modem to router

I recently got a Netgear D834GT which works really well. You get 4 ethernet (network cable) ports and also wireless. It is easy to configure and has alot of config options if you need a bit more advanced configuration.

Like the poster before says it gives you extra protection from the internet via the firewall which blocks all unwanted incoming connections but since it is a seperate box it takes the load off your PC. We had 3 of us playing BF2142 over it for a few hours without any problems on my 2Mb link with pings around 20ms.
taywood
Grafter

Modem to router

> I recently got a Netgear D834GT

Sounds like a car name.
Thanks, but the one PlusNet sent is the Voyager 210 that Dave referred to earlier. Its just plugandplay theres no config to be done and no chance to do any advanced config that I was so hesitant about in the first place, but was willing to give it a try to get that extra security that these guys wrote about.

So lestones if you're there, are you saying this Voyager model is one up on the Binatone modem which I've been using, in terms of giving me the security which I seek.
I'm on my own, I dont have a network and I dont need wireless.
jazz
Grafter

Modem to router

The Voyager Router/Modem is certainly one up on your old Binatone Modem. The fact that it is just plug and play should mean it's ideal for you in view of your original post.

The router is giving you additional benefits that were not on your modem even though you don't feel any difference (think about driving a car with airbags fitted compared to an older car without airbags - safety is improved but you're not aware of it in most of your day to day driving)
taywood
Grafter

Modem to router

Thanks for that reassurance.

Just in case any more dummies like me follow this post
I missed something important.
When the box was delivered I used the Quick Start Guide to get connected and went to 192.168.1.1 and clicked Connect.

I failed to go back later. I've just done that and found my answers.