cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Modem speed query!

N/A

Modem speed query!

Hi all,
I've been on broadband with Plusnet for a week now, and after a shaky start i'm liking the service. My question is about my modems limitations (or adsl limitations). I was recently accessing a friends ftp server (very fast university connection, 1.5mb a sec), i was downloading a file from him, it was going about 50k/sec, i was happy with this as i was doing a few other things at the same time, i then decided to upload a file to him. Then all hell broke loose, whilst my upload was full speed, i could only get about 10 or 15k a second downloading from my friends server. I know the bottleneck is not his end. Is it true that you cant upload / download at full speed on an adsl modem? If so can anyone tell me what the maximum similtanious upload and download speeds are?

Thanks for any posts.

Al.

Modem - Dynamode usb adsl modem.
I'm on the 512k account, home surf i think.
4 REPLIES
N/A

RE: Modem speed query!

> Hi all,
> I've been on broadband with Plusnet for a week now, and after a shaky start i'm liking the service. My question is about my modems limitations (or adsl limitations). I was recently accessing a friends ftp server (very fast university connection, 1.5mb a sec), i was downloading a file from him, it was going about 50k/sec, i was happy with this as i was doing a few other things at the same time, i then decided to upload a file to him. Then all hell broke loose, whilst my upload was full speed, i could only get about 10 or 15k a second downloading from my friends server. I know the bottleneck is not his end. Is it true that you cant upload / download at full speed on an adsl modem? If so can anyone tell me what the maximum similtanious upload and download speeds are?
>
> Thanks for any posts.
>
> Al.
>
>
> Modem - Dynamode usb adsl modem.
> I'm on the 512k account, home surf i think.

Check out www.adslguide.com for answers

Where are you Al ScotlandHuh

Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

> Hi all,
> I've been on broadband with Plusnet for a week now, and after a shaky start i'm liking the service. My question is about my modems limitations (or adsl limitations). I was recently accessing a friends ftp server (very fast university connection, 1.5mb a sec), i was downloading a file from him, it was going about 50k/sec, i was happy with this as i was doing a few other things at the same time, i then decided to upload a file to him. Then all hell broke loose, whilst my upload was full speed, i could only get about 10 or 15k a second downloading from my friends server. I know the bottleneck is not his end. Is it true that you cant upload / download at full speed on an adsl modem? If so can anyone tell me what the maximum similtanious upload and download speeds are?
>
> Thanks for any posts.
>
> Al.
>
>

Shat your seeing is 50kB/s not kb/s, B = bytes, b= bits, 8 bits too a byte so roughly 400kb/s.

Thats normal, same for your upload if a bit slow, should be averaging 20kB/s probally down to you having something else open at the same time.
--
ADSL @ 288/576 Self Install
IRC.UTCHAT.COM
Usually in #utgames #UT2003chat
Unvalued customer since 2001 funding cheap internet for others / DSL/Fibre house move 24 month regrade from 8th May 2017
N/A

> Hi all,
>
> Thanks for any posts.
>
> Al.
>
>

The answer to this is simple:

When downloading at full speed (or any speed) your computer must send some data back to the server for error checking and to request the next data block etc.

However if you are uploading at full speed all of your upload bandwidth is being used so the requests and error checking data are delayed hence the slowdown in your downloads.

The solution to your problem would be to limit the upload speed to the FTP site to about 90% of maximum (this will probably require some type of software on your machine or maybe your friend could limit you FTP acount to 20 or 25kB/s ?) (allowing about 10% for the data requests and error checking mentioned above)

Experiment with the limit to find the optimum for your connection.

I hope this helps,

Stuart

N/A

> > Hi all,
> > I've been on broadband with Plusnet for a week now, and after a shaky start i'm liking the service. My question is about my modems limitations (or adsl limitations). I was recently accessing a friends ftp server (very fast university connection, 1.5mb a sec), i was downloading a file from him, it was going about 50k/sec, i was happy with this as i was doing a few other things at the same time, i then decided to upload a file to him. Then all hell broke loose, whilst my upload was full speed, i could only get about 10 or 15k a second downloading from my friends server. I know the bottleneck is not his end. Is it true that you cant upload / download at full speed on an adsl modem? If so can anyone tell me what the maximum similtanious upload and download speeds are?
> >
> > Thanks for any posts.
> >
> > Al.
> >
> >
> > Modem - Dynamode usb adsl modem.
> > I'm on the 512k account, home surf i think.
>
>
> The answer to this is simple:
>
> When downloading at full speed (or any speed) your computer must send some data back to the server for error checking and to request the next data block etc.
>
> However if you are uploading at full speed all of your upload bandwidth is being used so the requests and error checking data are delayed hence the slowdown in your downloads.
>
> The solution to your problem would be to limit the upload speed to the FTP site to about 90% of maximum (this will probably require some type of software on your machine or maybe your friend could limit you FTP acount to 20 or 25kB/s ?) (allowing about 10% for the data requests and error checking mentioned above)
>
> Experiment with the limit to find the optimum for your connection.
>
> I hope this helps,
>
> Stuart
>
>
>
Thanks Stuart that has cleared it up a little for me, it all ties in now. If i upload and its not quite going full speed my downloads will go (or dont have anything stopping them) full speed, i have seen that a few times. Thanks for the replies guys.

Al.