cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Modem shuts down when left idle

flicker
Grafter

I'm not sure if this is a fault or not, but I know it didn't happen when I was on dial-up. I have a bt Voyager modem. If I leave it connected and a web page open say for about 20 minutes whilst I got off and do something (like make the tea) when I come back, it has switched off, no green lights at all, although on my pc screen, it is still showing two green arrows. This is a bit annoying because I then go to refresh the page and it then shows up as not being connected; I don't expect to have to drag the modem out from behind my printer to see that the power is off. Any suggestions please as to what is the problem? I can't see anything on the settings that would mean it would switch off. I have to turn the pc off and re-boot before it will come back on, which is a nuisance to say the least.
18 REPLIES
flicker
Grafter

So out of all you people that have looked at this question, not one person knows the answer? How curious. I just want to know if the modem is faulty, or is it normal to shut off after a length of time, and if so what settings can be altered to stop it? I have friends who leave their internet/computer/modem connected 24/7. So something cannot be right with this surely? Please help. :?
N/A

Modem Shutting off

Hi - I haven't got the same router as you but had a similar problem. The answer was to go into WAN Settings and change the "Idle Time" to zero. The default setting was 5 minutes meaning after 5 minutes of idle time ie no activity, the router would drop the connection. Have a look at your settings to see if there is a similar named item.
Good luck
flicker
Grafter

Aww thanks, I shall have a look right now, and report back.

Cheers
Cheesy

I have encountered a problem - I don't know how to find WAN settings! What are they, and where can I find them to alter it. Sorry to be dense Shockedops:
N/A

There may be a slight problem here as I have a Router/Modem (I am running a wireless network in my home) whereas you seem to have a modem only? However, to alter the settings of my R/M I have to type the "address" of my R/M into my browser (eg Internet Explorer) and can then get at the settings. One of those settings has the "Idle Time" . Do you have a set of instructions for your modem telling you how to adjust the settings? Try -Start > Programs > BT Voyager to see if its there. If not look at Control Panel and then Modem/BT Voyager.
John
flicker
Grafter

Thanks, found it eventually. Unfortunately though the "idle time before disconnection" was already set to Never, and I also had a box ticked that says to re-dial if line is dropped. :? Anyway, I have now altered it from Never to 24 hours which was the maximum to see if that does anything different.

Thanks for your help.
N/A

If it is a USB modem it could be the Windows Power saving kicking in.

Find the device manager in the System control panel and check the USB devices properties (right click on the device entry & choose properties) for an option under Power Management to turn off devices - untick this. There won't be the option on all entries, probably just the USB root hub ones.
flicker
Grafter

Yep, thanks for that. Someone has kindly helped me out on another forum I visit, and I have unticked the power saving boxes on both the modem and the usb ports, so should be fine now hopefully Smiley
Community Veteran

Make sure you set the idle timeout to never again as this is the recommended setting.
flicker
Grafter

Okay then, will do, thanks.
Smiley
flicker
Grafter

Bad news - it's back to the drawing board, it didn't work. I left the computer/opera/web page/modem connected on whilst I went out and did some stuff in the garden for about an hour. When I came back in - zilch, dead as the proverbial dodo. Sad The green arrows on the screen say I am still connected,but the Voyager modem has no power or lights, and if I go to refresh a page, says cannot find server (because I have no connection) I have to close everything down, turn off the computer - which doesn't want to shut down incidentally, just stays forever on the "Windows is Closing down" and eventually, I have to just push the button so that scan disk comes up next time. Sad Sad Sad

Got any other ideas as to my problem? I am beginning to wish I had never bothered with broadband, I have had nothing but aggro ever since. When I was on 56k with OneTel, I had a 6 hour cut-off package, which meant just that, I could switch on, connect up and leave it for 6 hours if I wanted and it would still be there waiting when I went back to look at something.

Fed up, very very fed up.

Oh and by the way, when I go to shut down, the little box comes up to say do I want to disconnect from Voyager modem, haha, when it isn't connected anyway!
N/A

Broadband really out to just keep working - most of the time at least.

My suspicion then is that there may be a driver problem. Have you tried uninstalling the modem drivers and/or deleting the modem entry from the device manager & letting windows find it/install it again? Are you using the latest drivers form it too? If not try updating them - if yes you could uninstall and try older ones if you have them.

Although many use a usb modem they do seem to be the ones that give most problems. Going over to a router might sort things (but will cost a bit), the router is then responsible for keeping the connection going independent of the PC and all the PC does is access the router via a network connection (although one or two can use a USB connection as a virtual netowrk connection) without the problem of drivers.
flicker
Grafter

Thanks for the reply. Yes I have tried the driver option last night. I only installed the whole thing about 6 weeks ago when I got broadband, it is therefore new-ish. However, I uninstalled and re-installed last week when I started getting these problems, but it has made no difference. Last night I actually checked whether there were new drivers, and it said no, all up-to-date, all working correctly.

I have heard from elsewhere that usb modems are a pain in the bum, I deliberated long and hard whether to go for a wireless set up but because it would work out at roughly £100 to buy the netgear router and I had to buy the card or two if I wanted to use it on my other pc, I opted for the package that PlusNet provided, as it seemed idiot-proof, I wasn't sure I would have been able to set the other thing up, it sounded a bit complicated. I also went into PC World incidentally to ask their advice, and the bloke in there didn't know what I was talking about, made me feel about an inch high, didn't know about Wireless Modem/Routers, didn't know about needing a card to insert, looked at me as if I was mentally retarded! Anyway, it looks like I made the wrong choice dunnit? As usual, I have no luck with electrical items, it's a wonder it hasn't caught fire or blown up to be honest, which is what normally happens to me! (I shouldn't jest I suppose ..... :lol: )
N/A

You can halve the cost (or more - they're from around £30 upwards) if you just buy a modem/ router and leave the wireless until later (buy a wireless access point then). Setting up a router isn't at all complicated it's just different - usually done by entering your details on a webpage served up by the router.
flicker
Grafter

Wouldn't that set up still have to be plugged into a USB port though? Which may possibly give me the same problem. :?