cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Modem problems

N/A

Modem problems

Hi,

I've just bought a linksys adsl2 modem (http://www.ebuyer.com Quickfind code: 82551) and checked it has latest firmware.

I have a 2 MB line but only seem to be able to get speeds of 200kbps (i.e. 10%)
on my laptop via ethernet cable using this modem.

In the modem log it said something like "unable to increase MTU to 32664"
So I tried the MTU tweaks on the forum using DrTCP.

Checked the logs tonight and message is not there but still poor speed!

Also I have a Dynamode USB modem hooked up to my desktop and I got
1500kbps on that.

The last two days the modem seemed to disconnect after about 2 hours
saying ADSL link disconnected. I had great problems getting back online: it kept connecting then disconnecting. Not sure if this is related to the speed problems.

Any ideas?
Thanks
R
6 REPLIES
N/A

Dropped connections,Ivan

Hello roguetone,

Can I just check with you, do any of your ADSL modems (linksys or dynamode) give you line statistics? such uplink speed,downlink speeds, modulation type, SNR or line noise, attenuation ,etc.

**I'm wondering if this problem might be either a noisy phone line, (line noise can vary from hour to hour in the day and if it hits a critical level your connection might end up dropping out?) or line attenuation or line length possibly?

**You need to have the noise levels on your phone line checked either using your own equipment (some routers & modems give this information), or if your kit doesnt have this then BT or PN.

**Do you know which BT exchange your connected too? if you dont then one way too find out is via PlusNet's usertools website which allows you to check this information by entering either your phone number (Plus area code) or Postcode. This will help tell you how far you are from your exchange and this can be very useful & helpful. http://users.plus.net/

**If the problem IS found to be excessive noise or if the noise level is marginal its sometimes possible for a BT engineer to run daignostics on your line & also your line parameters can be adjusted (Tweaked) to improve the line quality,lowering noise levels and reducing dropped connections (it depends upon the line condition), it sometimes can be done successfully but NOT always. Its not guarenteed!

Ivan
--------------------------------------------------
F9 FOL Forum Moderator
F9 Broadband Premier 2MB User
N/A

Modem problems

Thanks for the reply,

The linksys modem reports:

Data Rate Down / Up 2272 / 288
Path Mode Fast Path
LOS Errors 0
Internet Gateway: 195.166.128.123
(not sure what this is?)

Also has settings:
PPPoA VPI 0 VCI 38 and VC Multiplexing

I think the exchange will be within 3 miles. The tools page just
gives the town name of the exchange and I live quite close
to the town.

I will try and get BT to check for line noise

Strange though that I can get good speeds on one modem but
not on the other.
Maybe a dodgy modem ?!
R
N/A

ADSL KIT Ivan

Hi R,

I have heard some other users on other forums report similar inconsistence, one router can cope with the line conditions at the distance from the BT exchange but another modem kept dropping out at the same distance.

**Moral of the story DONT assume one make of broadband kit IS the same as another, different equipment have different sensitivities & tolerances.

Ivan
--------------------------------------------------
F9 FOL Forum Moderator
F9 Broadband Premier 2MB User
Geez
Grafter

Re: Modem problems

Also I have a Dynamode USB modem hooked up to my desktop and I got 1500kbps on that.

The last two days the modem seemed to disconnect after about 2 hours
saying ADSL link disconnected. I had great problems getting back online: it kept connecting then disconnecting. Not sure if this is related to the speed problems.

Any ideas? Thanks R

Try running an Error Check (Disk Scan in older versions of Windows) remembering to tick the options - it worked for me Wink
N/A

Modem problems

I get the same thing with my Dynamode, it has just dropped out a couple of times since I got back on less thatn 20 minutes ago! I have had the Dynamode from PN for ages and it used to be fine, seems to have started doing this in the last few months.

I reported it to them and they told me to check the modem, and the phone sockets, and asked if it was after being idle for some time or at peak times, but I don't think any of those apply.

:twisted:
N/A

happy ending

Hi,

In a nutshell I got it working by unplugging the dynamode upstairs when I use
the linksys downstairs.

The full story was that BT checked the line and said it was ok. However
I noticed that the XP laptop and linksys modem worked great when
plugged into the BT master test socket (revealed by removing bottom half of master socket).

So I figured it was a problem with extension wiring. After much time checking wiring and experimenting I found that a dody phone in the kitchen can cause disconnection. But more interesting the extension socket upstairs for the win 98 desktop with the dynamode USB plugged in was the culprit. i.e. with dynamode plugged in to wall socket the linksys downstairs is terrible (disconnects and 10% of expected bandwidth). But unplug the dynamode and the linksys flys.

It is definitely the dynamode since I plugged in a normal phone instead and again no problems. The weird thing is why! I mean I could understand it if I was trying to use the desktop upstairs at the same time but I had it switched off along with the dynamode. So just having the dynamode plugged into the socket even when off was enough to screw things for the linksys.

I'd be interested to konw if anyone has an explanation for this but at least
I have a working solution.

Also I haven't used the desktop for a while so what's the betting the dynamode no longer works! Computers eh don't you just love 'em !

R