cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Modem or Router

taywood
Grafter

Modem or Router

When I switched to Broadband I bought the Binatone ADSL500 Modem from PlusNet and found it simple to use.
Does the team think it would help to improve my connection and download speed if I were to buy a single user Router and is setting up a router more difficult than setting up a plug and play modem?
I dont have a specific problem but like so many users I'm not getting what I think is a reasonable percentage of the 8Mbs I'm paying for and I'm looking for ways to improve this.

Mike
(PAYG 10Gb special offer)
11 REPLIES
lingbob
Grafter

Modem or Router

I have no experience with the Binatone but I've tried a BT Voyager 105 USB modem and a Netgear DG834 router with MaxDSL. Download speeds (throughput) are virtually identical with both but the Netgear router is definitely better as far as line stability is concerned. The Netgear will hold sync for weeks on end but the Voyager 105 re-syncs up and down like a yo-yo.

What sort of download speeds are you getting?
Pheasantplucker
Grafter

Modem or Router

I also have the Binatone adsl 500 usb modem, and like you i'm not getting very high download speeds. Mostly they are around 3 to 3.5 mb but occasionally I do manage the greatest speed of 4mb. I'll watch this thread with interst as i have been thinking along the same lines as you.
PS Plus net reckon that this speed is the best that i should expect even though my line syncs at 8124 and has never dropped one connection........so i reckon I should bet more..............but what do i knowHuh?Huh
Community Veteran

Modem or Router

Buying a router is not a guarantee of higher download speeds.

My Voyager 105 sync'd at 8128 and I got 4000kbps at most, but usually 2000-3000kbps; now my beautiful new router syncs at 8128 and I get ... yep, you guessed.

I raised a ticket and after a week and some investigations by PN & BT, the final statement was "sorry, exchange contention" .. which actually might be true as it turns out my exchange's DSLAM is choc-a-bloc (but there's an additional one being provisioned this month apparently).
taywood
Grafter

Modem or Router

HA. Its just a game isn't it.
Have just run 3 tests within seconds of each other, PlusNet gave 6104Kbps, BBMax gave 6690 and ZDNet gave 6080, and the time was 08.50 Saturday morn.
I'll remember this time for the future !!

I'd have said my normal average speeds were just as reported by dickelliot and I've not seen speeds like these since we went thru the maxdsl pantomime.
I'm just about a 2km cable run from the local exchange.
Mike
lingbob
Grafter

Modem or Router

Unfortunately, all these so-called speed testers are completely useless because the size of the test file used is nowhere near big enough. It's a well known fact that a download takes a while to stabilise and normally, it will start off very fast and then gradually slow down until the throughput stabilises. From my own experiments with MaxDSL, I've found that a file of at least 50Mb is required to get a true indication of throughput.
Community Veteran

Modem or Router

I find the 15MB test file from http://www.btopenworld.com/speedtest gives a reasonable stable result and tests the HTTP connection. I am only running at 2Mbs so perhaps its big enough for me, but may nt be for an 8Mbs connection.

Note: to re-run the test you need to delete the saved file and clear you browser cache.
lingbob
Grafter

Modem or Router

I find the 15MB test file from http://www.btopenworld.com/speedtest gives a reasonable stable result and tests the HTTP connection. I am only running at 2Mbs so perhaps its big enough for me, but may nt be for an 8Mbs connection.

Yes, that's reflected by my own connection. My line syncs, on average, at around 7.3Mbps but the fastest it will actually run at is around 5Mbps.
Note: to re-run the test you need to delete the saved file and clear you browser cache.

Useful bit of info, thanks.
N/A

Re: Modem or Router

Does the team think it would help to improve my connection and download speed

There is no difference between a router/modem on the download side, just really how hot they both become can have a small affect on the performance. If you know how to use a router correctly then a router is the better option, if you don't then be warned problems such as port forwarding are a constant problem with a router. If you use alot of P2P try to avoid a router.

I use a router and would only use a modem to host a website from my computer.
Alecto
Grafter

Modem or Router

It's not true that routers are all hard to use.
The Netgear one I have set itself up, and is very easy to configure for P2P. Numerous people on the forum can help with this if the many guides to port forwarding aren't enough. I am absolutely not technical, but following the guide to set the thing up for P2P was very easy.

And with a router, you have the added benefits that firstly it doesn't use any computer resources to work (a USB modem does), and it is more secure, having a built-in firewall to protect your computer from many of the idiots out there.

I'd recommend a router every time.
N/A

Modem or Router

Yes a router is recommended and P2P can be made easier with the port forwarding tutorials, all I was saying is you are a passive internet user and you don't want to get into the technical aspects of router configuring then avoid a router.

DLINK is pretty bad when it comes to port forwarding, I have no experience with netgear.
N/A

Modem or Router

Speeds will be pretty much the same. A router is good because it's always connected even when the PC is off and is ideal for sharing your connection between multiple people. Make sure you get a wireless one. Ebuyer have a lot of cheap ones, make sure it has a modem built in.