cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Modem or Router?

N/A

Modem or Router?

Hi,

Waiting for activation and wondering what's the best to get. Plain vanilla ADSL modem or combined modem/router? I have a second PC but am not considering linking it yet.
--
Which one's the brake, again?
8 REPLIES
N/A

RE: Modem or Router?

> Waiting for activation and wondering what's the best to get. Plain vanilla ADSL modem or combined modem/router? I have a second PC but am not considering linking it yet.

Hi

If you can afford the router/hub/network cards, then router is the way to go, no USB problems and no Internet Connection Sharing required for your second PC.

Note that some routers are actually router/hub combo's so no need for a separate hub. If fact if you are well off, get a wireless router Smiley

Go here... www.solwise.co.uk

I have used them, they were great.

Ed.
N/A

> Waiting for activation and wondering what's the best to get. Plain vanilla ADSL modem or combined modem/router? I have a second PC but am not considering linking it yet.
>

Hi,

As already touched upon, it does very much depend upon your needs. Routers are more flexible than modems and allow for expansion within the premises but they are also more expensive and require a basic understanding of networking.

If you're looking to run any kind of services on a DSL connection (such as a webserver), a router would definitely be the way to go. It has the benefit that no matter what happens with the ADSL connection, the router will always try repeatedly to bring it back online until it succeeds. Not all modems will do this so you could be left a bit stuck.

On the other hand, modems work extremely well and have the benefit of their 'plug and play' nature. In most cases, there's no bother and very little to configure which makes them ideal for most internet users.

Regards, Torsten.

--
| Torsten Dettlaff...............Unmetered & ADSL solutions
| Technical Support.....................for Home & Business
| PlusNet Technologies Ltd............@ http://www.plus.net
+ ----- My Referrals - It pays to recommend PlusNet ----- +
N/A

Time for my ten pence worth...
After becomming ADSL enabled in just 6 days (thanks PlusNet !!!) after signing up I toddled off to PC World and bought a Zoom USB modem. Seemed to go OK but then started getting weird errors indicating USB driver errors. After several goes at re-installing and getting the same error I took it back and ordered a US Robotics one from Simply.

Same problems again... Maybe something that the imminent XP service pack will fix, but I don't think it's a proprietry driver problem - the Zoom and USR modems use different chipsets.

Anyway.. I ended up ordering the Zyxel Prestige 742r single port router from Simply. Had to fiddle about configuring the IP addresses with my PC, but it has been totally reliable ever since.

I have had no problems whatsoever, I think the extra expense is entirely justified. In my (limited) experience USB sucks, but maybe I have just been unlucky.

Can't go wrong with a router... no drivers, no fuss.
If you buy the Zyxel 742 the only thing you will need is a 10/100 fast ethernet card. All the cables (x-over & patch) are included.

Hope this helps...

Daniel.
Smiley~

N/A

My tupence's worth...
I'm still waiting for my ADSL connection (16 gone and 6 to go) Thanks a f'n lot plusnet.
Tip avoid changing you account type during activation.

Anyway, I have a lovely little four port 10/100Mbit Modem/Router/Switch from www.dabs.com.
Good price too.

ADSL Conexant 4 Port <£80 just.
Mfr code: AMX-CA64E
Quicklinx: 17P8WS

I just need an active line.
N/A

Eddie,

>>Hi
>
> If you can afford the router/hub/network cards, then router is the way to go, no USB problems and no Internet Connection Sharing required for your second PC.<<

Sounds good, especially the ICS bit.
>
>>If fact if you are well off, get a wireless router Smiley<<

(Groan) You know how much debt this is putting me in and what I had to sell to pay for it? I'm going to miss Grandma...
>
>>Go here... www.solwise.co.uk
>
> I have used them, they were great.<<

Thanks, help and tips appreciated. Smiley

FK

--
N/A

Torsten,

>> Hi,
>
> As already touched upon, it does very much depend upon your needs. Routers are more flexible than modems and allow for expansion within the premises...<<

I really am leaning towards the router/modem combo.

> If you're looking to run any kind of services on a DSL connection (such as a webserver...<<

No, won't be running anything else, it's the expansion side I'm looking at

Thanks for input, appreciated. Smiley

FK

--
N/A

Daniel,

6 Days! I should be so lucky! My line engineer's prolly sat in the staff room scratching his butt, clearing his nose out, and watching 24hr re-runs of the Adult Channel...

>>Same problems again... Maybe something that the imminent XP service pack will fix...<<

As long as I can, I'm sticking with Win 98SE. An operating system that phones home? No thanks. Smiley

>>Anyway.. I ended up ordering the Zyxel Prestige 742r single port router from Simply.<<

Simply Computers or just www.simply?

>>I have had no problems whatsoever...<<

The Holy Grail of all Windows users!>

>>Hope this helps...<<

Muchly, thanks heaps. Smiley

FK
--
N/A

16 gone and 6 to go) Thanks a f'n lot plusnet.
> Tip avoid changing you account type during activation.<<

Sheesh! What happened to the 7-10 days bit?
>
>>Anyway, I have a lovely little four port 10/100Mbit Modem/Router/Switch from www.dabs.com.
> Good price too.<<

Thanks a lot, I'll go and have a look at that site, too. Smiley

FK
--