cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Modem 'non operational'

N/A

Modem 'non operational'

I have a very irritating problem with my modem. Although I have read on other forums that other people have had this problem, no one yet has been able to resolve it.

I have PlusNet Broadband Plus up to 8Mb and I am using Voyager 105 modem with Win XP Professional. The problem is with my network adapter when connecting to the internet. If my modem is disconnected, I can’t reconnect without rebooting. Windows Task Manager (networking tab) shows the Adapter state as ‘non-operational’, but still shows a graph for it. Then when I reconnect, a second instance of the same network adapter is shown, which also can’t connect.

I have scanned for viruses, uninstalled and then reinstalled the modem, tried another voyager 105 modem, but nothing works.

Any ideas, suggestions?
7 REPLIES
p_w_d_stone
Grafter

Modem 'non operational'

This is a guess as I've never used your modem, or indeed any other USB modem.

What I do know is that Windows treats USB modems as a dial-up connection, not a network connection, so the adaptor "non-operational" status is connect. The computer needs to initiate a connection via a modem every time you want to use the internet.

As a complete guess, within Internet Explorer, go to "Tools", "Internet Options" and the "Connections" tab, select "Always Dial My Default Connection" (ensuring that your default is set to PlusNet broadband and not a dial-up account) and see if that helps.

Each time you load any application that requires a connection to the internet your computer should then automatically "dial" the modem.
N/A

Modem 'non operational'

peterstone - just tried that today, but still says modem non operational.
James
Grafter

Modem 'non operational'

Hi there,

Bit of a long shot as I don't really have any idea why the problem is occurring (!!) but have you tried manually recreating the dial up connection under the Network Connections area of your control panels?
N/A

Modem 'non operational'

jamesbailey - I gave that a go today but still no luck. I think a reinstall of Windows is on the cards...
Community Veteran

Modem 'non operational'

Rather than going through the pain of a windows reinstall, why not thing about changing that very old modem for something a bit more modern like a router which uses a Ethernet connection rather than USB. No need to worry about USB drivers, just connect it to your network interface or buy a PCI network card for £5 if your PC does not have a network connection.

You can pick up a basic router with ADSL modem for 20 -> 30 pounds and it will be much better and more reliable in the long run. There is also the likelihood of a faster connection and less impact on your PCs processor - USB modems can use a lot of processing power at higher speeds.

See http://www.dsldepot.co.uk/index.asp

The Draytek 2600 plus is a very good model (I'm using one now) or the Thompson Speedtouch 585 wireless (you don't have to use the wireless bit) or the very good Netgear DG834G, which I have also used.
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff
Fixes: 1

Modem 'non operational'

Is there any pattern to the problem? For example, does it only happen when you first boot up or if you leave the PC idle?

I'm wondering if it's the power management settings for the USB ports.
N/A

Modem 'non operational'

O.K. I will try a newer modem to see if that works and report back when I know the results.

Thanks all.