Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Modem keeps going off after restart?

N/A

Hello

A little problem Tongue :

Everytime I restart my pc, my modem un-installs itself :roll: . It's the Binatone 500 model. I use Win XP SP1.

So after every restart I have to unplug the usb from my machine, then restart, then re-install. I dont mind, but its a pain in the arse :?:
16 REPLIES
N/A

Hi there,

nicked this from the tutorials and faq's.

May help. There's reams of posts re the Binatone modem if you want to have a search for them.

Good luck.

Regards

Mark

Solving USB Modem Issues

There is a power management problem with some motherboards, including those using the Via KT7 chipset (which is found on several models of motherboard). This causes the USB ports to loose power at apparently random intervals. The symptoms would be that the Broadband ADSL will usually work fine for a short time and then the modem would just switch itself off or lose connection. After a reboot of the computer it will be OK again for a few minutes.

If you experience this problem we would recommend that you seek advice from your computer supplier or purchase an externally powered USB Hub.

You can also try downloading the latest 4 in 1 drivers from www.usbman.com, as this has been known to cure the problem.
N/A

Thanks for the reply, but mine does the exact opposite. i.e it doesn' t switch itself off or lose connection. After a reboot it's un-installed :roll:
N/A

The USB power issue still applies as mentioned in earlier post.
The modem will have initialised, used over the USB power limit (500ma) and then shut down, causing the driver initialisation files to corrupt and hence appear to be uninstalled.
If you search for the drivers, they will still be there but the modem will not be recognised. The result is that you have to reinstall.

Cures are:
1/ Chuck it and get a modem router
2/ Get a powered USB hub
3/ Fit a USB2.2 card into the PC and disable the onboard USB

The above cures assume you have a AMD CPU and VIA or SIS chipset.
Community Veteran

My recommendation would be item 1 above, bin the modem and get an external Ethernet modem because you will then have very few problems, regardless of what PC you have. USB modems can work very well in the majority of cases but when things go wrong, it is often very difficult to diagnose and solve.

You can get a 1 port Ethernet router for about £25 - the ebuyer ORIGO 8000 - which works very well.
N/A

Thanks for the replies, but will plus net pay for this? Does it come under the contract, if the modem wont work properly? For the router I mean as the other suggestions are too technical for my pc Tongue .
Community Veteran

Unlikely because the modem is probably working fine, it's just your hardware/software config that is incompatible with it or the drivers and that is outside PlusNets control.

If you do report a problem with your modem all PlusNet are likely to do is replace it but if the problem is your PC config a new modem is unlikely to make a difference. It's up to you if you want to go down that route.
N/A

Thanks for the replies, but will plus net pay for this? Does it come under the contract, if the modem wont work properly .

Sorry, No. The modem itself is most probably fully working, which fulfills PlusNet's side. If the modem were to be tested on a PC that can provide the required power stability, it would work flawlessly.
The fact that your PC cannot support it fully is up to you. This is one of the "things" with computers.
As Peter said, the modems work with the majority of PC's. However, there is a small percentage that give problems. Unfortunately, you appear to be in that small percentage.
N/A

Okie dokie Wink , Just thought I'd ask
N/A

My recommendation would be item 1 above, bin the modem and get an external Ethernet modem because you will then have very few problems, regardless of what PC you have. USB modems can work very well in the majority of cases but when things go wrong, it is often very difficult to diagnose and solve.

You can get a 1 port Ethernet router for about £25 - the ebuyer ORIGO 8000 - which works very well.

I must bring this up again, could you please provide a link to where i can buy this router thingy ? Wink
N/A

You can get it here
Read the reviews before buying and be sure, if you buy one, you follow the instructions on the first review to secure the router.

There are also better modem routers (known as gateway routers) on the same site, such as Netgear DG834 or D-link 504, both of which have built in firewall, which the ASR 8400 (Origo clone) does not.

To use any of these, you will need a Ethernet Network card in your PC (known as a NIC) , available here
I am not sure if the ASR 8400 comes with a network cable, the Netgear and D-link do.
N/A

Thanks for the reply but:

Thats sounds a bit complicated to me, so I need a router and a ethernet network card? Isn't the 56k modem an ethernet card too? It's all too technical for me. :roll:
N/A

No, a 56K modem is, err, exactly what it says, a modem.

Depending upon the age of your PC, you may already have a NIC (maybe called LAN or Network adapter) fitted on the motherboard.
If not, it sounds as if your knowledge of the internals and settings of your PC is limited. To fit a new NIC you will need to take the case off the PC and actually fit the card. If you are unsure of this, you should get someone to do it for you.

Look at this aspect before going further down the router trial.
N/A

Sorry about last night, my pc knowledge of the internals is good and the settings of a pc is good too. It just my ILLness makes me a little confused, especially at night Shockedops: .

I got what you mean, but I've never seen a router before Wink
N/A

A router isn't much to look at.
This one is quite good and a good picture/explanations
Dynamode Router