cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Modem disconnects when playing online games

N/A

My Bitatone Broadband USB modem disconnects me when i play online games or when the cpu is under heavy load. It does not happen when the sytem is idle or under normal load.

My system

Athlon XP 1700+
Epox 8KHA+ mobo
512 MB DDR RAM
Raddy 9700

Does anyone else have these problems, or know how to fix it.

I got the modem from +Net.

Thanks
7 REPLIES
Community Veteran

Sounds like a USB power problem, try using a powered USB hub or try it without any other USB devices hooked up and see if you get the same problems.

Chris
N/A

or you could try a usb card. I had a similar problem a couple of years ago, that fixed it for me.
N/A

Just wondering what wattage your power supply is in your case.

The cpu has to cope both with running whatever game you're playing online as well as running the usb modem. The cpu may be under undue stress, it may be time to upgrade your cpu and/or possibly a new case to go with it depending on what psu you have in it.
N/A

A usb hub, or different modem would be much cheaper and simpler though Smiley
N/A

The cpu may be under undue stress, it may be time to upgrade your cpu and/or possibly a new case to go with it depending on what psu you have in it.

thats a rather expencive solution, :shock:

The USB problem has been very common with users espeicaly ones that have a VIA chipset in the motherboard. Some users have had luck with a simple USB hub and others with updating the motherboard chipset drivers. Since your motherbaord has VIA cipset, try a cheap free driver update first : Smiley

Try this link might help

http://www.epox.nl/english/support/drivers/via.htm
N/A

Thanks for all the advice guys, i've applied the via USB filter patch hopefully that will help if not i will buy a powered hub.
N/A

Well the patch has not helped so it looks like a powered hub is needed. Sad