cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Modem connected? How can you tell?

N/A

Using the old 56k dial-up system you could see if you were connected or not by the green icon at the bottom-right of your screen. Using my Binatone ADSL500, however, it seems that the only way to discover your modem status is via the Internet connection (hence the Explorer icon on the desktop).
So what if my computer crashes and reboots into Safe mode? If I then return to normal I find that my ASDL modem is not online. If I click the Binatone icon then it tries to perform an old dial-up connection via my 56k modem. Is there a) any way to tell within the computer that you're actually online... is there an icon I can install or something? and b) is there a way to manually connect after a crash without having to reboot? I'm using Windows ME. :?:
4 REPLIES
Community Veteran

How about this.

In IE->tools->internet options->connections tab. Make sure the ADSL modem is your default connection and make sure always dial my default connection is set. Then apply the changes and see if that makes a difference.
vic_newey
Grafter

thats odd, I have a blue icon appear on taskbar when I am online, ( win XP) with my zoom modem.
vic_newey
Grafter

just thought,
are you sure you have all icons displayed ? I can click small tab marked with arrow on the taskbar & 50% of icons disappear / appear
Community Veteran

tothill says Windows Me in the first post, not XP. Icons are only hidden in XP.