cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Modem conecction and GB

N/A

Modem conecction and GB

Can I leave my broadband connection on when my PC is turned on like for all day without using any GB's or will this consume GB's?
5 REPLIES
N/A

Modem conecction and GB

Depends what you leave running- messenger programs, e-mail clients, websites that refresh themselves etc will all use bandwidth. Windows update and anti-virus might check from time to time, but this isn't anything to worry about.

As long as you're not a P2P or usenet user, and you don't leave anything like a WAN game or audio feed running, the usage should be insignificant.
N/A

Modem conecction and GB

Can you please explain what are:

P2P, usenet user, WAN game, audio feed Smiley
N/A

Modem conecction and GB

Can you please explain what are:

P2P, usenet user, WAN game

If you don't know what the above are, you're not using them. Cheesy

Audio feed would be something like listening to BBC Radio 2 or Classic FM (or any one of the millions of internet radio stations) on your computer. Also worth noting that some video sites automatically play a new (supposedly similar) video when the one you've selected has finished playing so it's definetely worth closing the browser window for those.

Is there any particular reason you want to leave the PC on all day as this does use energy and will add to your electricity bill (not to mention the issue of global warming). The reason you're leaving it on may also impact on the bandwidth you're using (obviously leaving it on because you want to use it a web or SMTP server will use bandwidth).

Again, if you don't know what these are, it won't apply.
N/A

Modem conecction and GB

I wont be leaving it all day just maybe a few hours I was really just wondering. Cheesy
N/A

Modem conecction and GB

Can't see this being a problem then, can always keep an eye on your usage if you're worried.