cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Modem & router suggestions

N/A

Modem & router suggestions

Hi,

I've had ADSL for a few years now and have, in recent times, suffered batches of problems - no activity on apparantly connected lines, connections dropping erratically, having to shut down for 1/2 hour to allow resets at the exchange and such like.

I've decided that, having changed everything else, I'll try another modem. I share my connection on a LAN and figure an ADSL modem with a network hub and hardware firewall is the most secure solution.

I would rather not have the hassle of setting up addresses everywhere, and my experience with PCs networked with Win2K has been pretty much hassle free and automatic.

Can anyone recommend a solution which is reliable, stable, secure and simple and which will serve me should I upgrade to 1 or 2 MBPS?

TIA.
7 REPLIES
N/A

RE: Modem & router suggestions

> Can anyone recommend a solution which is reliable, stable, secure and simple and which will serve me should I upgrade to 1 or 2 MBPS?

By definition any Ethernet solution should fit into this remit. I would take a look at the reviews on Adslguide - http://www.adslguide.org.uk/hardware/reviews and pick a router which does everything you want.

Regards,

Ian Wild
PlusNet Customer Support
N/A

www.seg.co.uk

Vigor 2600

Ed.
N/A

> www.seg.co.uk
>
> Vigor 2600
>
> Ed.
>
--------------------------
I have a D-Link DSL504 serving 3 PC's on my LAN. It was a doddle to set up and continues to work happily. DHCP included if you need it, port forwarding and all the usual goodies. Firewall is excellent - I also run Zonealarm on my main PC but am thinking of removing it as it hasn't made a single peep since installing the D-Link.

--
Come on Boro!
http://www.waynessa.co.uk/boro.htm
N/A

> www.seg.co.uk
>
> Vigor 2600
>
> Ed.
>
--------------------------
I have a D-Link DSL504 serving 3 PC's on my LAN. It was a doddle to set up and continues to work happily. DHCP included if you need it, port forwarding and all the usual goodies. Firewall is excellent - I also run Zonealarm on my main PC but am thinking of removing it as it hasn't made a single peep since installing the D-Link.

--
Come on Boro!
http://www.waynessa.co.uk/boro.htm
N/A

plus net supplied our router in a packaage .
it wasnt easy to set up with a few experienced pc people having probs helping me get it running . now we know the settings and its set up , its hassle free and we have 2 pc sharing 512 . neither has to be switched on to allow the other to use bandwidth and it senough for 2 people to game at once .
stonechat
Grafter

Also SAR 715 is very good

Bob
N/A

> Hi,
>
> I've had ADSL for a few years now and have, in recent times, suffered batches of problems - no activity on apparantly connected lines, connections dropping erratically, having to shut down for 1/2 hour to allow resets at the exchange and such like.
>
> I've decided that, having changed everything else, I'll try another modem. I share my connection on a LAN and figure an ADSL modem with a network hub and hardware firewall is the most secure solution.
>
> I would rather not have the hassle of setting up addresses everywhere, and my experience with PCs networked with Win2K has been pretty much hassle free and automatic.
>
> Can anyone recommend a solution which is reliable, stable, secure and simple and which will serve me should I upgrade to 1 or 2 MBPS?
>
> TIA.

I have a Mentor based on Conexant chipset, speeds are better than my modem was, but it won't set to multi-user so it only accepts traffic from one IP address. Not a major problem as I use Smoothwall as a proxy but this is not just a one off as I exchanged the thing and it's replacement does the same thing.

On the other hand it has never dropped the line that I am aware of, although it may be that the "auto reconnect" and "dial on demand" settings may have something to do with my awareness of this.

My excuse for this thing is that it was cheap! and I had an old PC laid around to put SmoothWall on.

Netgear ones at work were MUCH easier to set up but have to be reset every morning.

Hope this is of some help to someone.

Tim