cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Modem Troubles

N/A

Modem Troubles

Hi,

For almost a month now I have been experiening troubles with my Binatone ADSL500 modem supplied by PlusNet.

About 80% of the time when I turn my System on, both lights on the modem (the power & line lights) illuminate straight away and when i'm in windows it doesn't connect to the servers and I get an error message saying the modem has a fault.

But, when I turn off the System and reboot, the Power light will be on only and the line light flashes for a while and then stays on & then I can connect to the servers fine. I've been told that this is what it's supposed to do.

Anyone have any ideas why I seem to have the above fault virtually everytime I turn my System on?

Daniel

[Moderators note (by Thomas): Being an ADSL-related issue, I'm moving this to the ADSL forum.]
4 REPLIES
N/A

Modem Troubles

You dont say what O/S you have. Most of the problems with this modem we have had on the forum seem to be resolved by having sp1 on Xp or by using the latest drivers.
N/A

Modem Troubles

Reading your post, it seems to indicate that the modem lights come on and the modem locks BEFORE windows has loaded.
If this is correct, does this happen if you boot into DOS ??. If so, it is a hardware issue, possibly power supply.
jovin

Modem Troubles

Daniel,
I have a similar problem, the modem will have lots of attempts to make the line, finally it will lock on and stay on, other times it will lock on for a while then drop the line.
I had a BT engineer visit me ( its a long story ) the end result of the testing was that I was on the border of the range which is according to him 5.5km and according to him again I was 6.0km. ie. I'm lucky as most people can' t raise the line at that range.
Most times I can get the line and it will stay on, except if there is a R in the month or the wind is in the wrong direction or its raining and the line has got wet or the dogs having a bad day.
Plus net then emailed me and said that as I now seem to be OK they would close the thingame.
I'm sure Plusnet and BT told me before I signed up and payed the money that I was in a way out area but I couldn' t have been listening.

By the way I live in Cheshunt, Hertfordshire.

John Vine
N/A

Modem Troubles

Thanks for the replies.

Yeah i'm using Windows XP, so it could be that or it be because i'm on the border line from the exchange.

Not to worry, I guess i'll just have to live with it! Cheesy

Thank you all

Daniel