cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Modem Troubles - Any ideas?!

N/A

I submitted this problem to PlusNet:

I'm having repeated problems with my Binatone ADSL 500 modem you guys sent me with the starter pack.

Virtually everytime I turn my PC on the modem Power light either doesn't illuminate or the Line light illuminates instead of the power and the modem fails to run in Windows.

Other times, the power light will come on, but the line light wont illuminate at all.

I have the tried the latest drivers and i'm still getting the same errors. I have even tried my old Alcatel ADSL modem which I have from my old BT Install days and that modem works fine every time.

Any thoughts on what I can try next or do you think it's faulty??

And they replied with:

Dear Customer,

From the problems you describe, we would like to confirm your ChipSet.

Binatone have released a VIA ChipSet for this modem, available from usbman.com.

Please test this and raise another ticket should the problems persevere.

Regards

I have visited the site they mentioned, but the site isn't well designed and I haven't a clue what i'm looking for.

Any one else offer any helpHuh
8 REPLIES
N/A

Sorry Daniel but are you saying you have an
Alcatel Speedtouch 'Frog' modem?
That's a £75 modem one of the best Alcatel have made
and still on sale.
I would use that instead, just update to the latest drivers,
on Speedtouch UK web -site (unless your using W98 or ME,
then stick to older drivers)
Alec
http://www.dslsupport.co.uk/products.asp
Community Veteran

Not a very helpfull reply in my opinion. They could at least have supplied you with a link to the page containing the download you need and the name of it.

I have looked but can't find any reference to a VIA driver from Binatone.

What chipset are you using on your motherboard. If it's a VIA then download and install VIA Hyperion 4in1 v4.46 drivers found on this page.

If you are running WinXP then you must have SP1 installed.

Also check out the ADSL troubleshooting tutorial in the tutorial & FAQs forum.

If that does not help post back or look around as there are loads of threads on this subject and for this modem. I suspect the modem is not getting enough power from the USB port but this and possible solutions are posted in many other threads so look around.

Cheers

Peter Cool
N/A

Thank you for your reply.

I am trying the driver to see if it works. If I get no joy, I will just use the Alcatel "Green Fish" USB Modem, as that works with no problems.

Dan
Highlighted
Community Veteran

It appears the usbman site is not up to date. The latest VIA drivers can be found here. The latest version is 4.51.

So, what VIA chipset does your motherboard use? If you don't have a VIA chipset then don't install the drivers.

I would also query the reply you got and get PlusNet to confirm with a link what drivers they were talking about.
Community Veteran

Not a very helpfull reply in my opinion. They could at least have supplied you with a link to the page containing the download you need and the name of it.

I have looked but can't find any reference to a VIA driver from Binatone.

Thats often the case if you get someone new or not in the know answering your ticket. Funny thing is it actually suggests downloading a chipset of the internet, it would be great if physical objects could be donwloaded.

Chris
N/A

http://downloads.viaarena.com/drivers/others/usbf_110.zip

or

ftp://downloads.viaarena.com/drivers/others/usbf_110.zip
N/A

VIA Chipset & USB Devices

For some reason USB devices do not work very well with motherboards that have VIA Chipsets. When I was trying to install my Binatone USB 500 modem, my PC crashed each and every time it was installing the driver.

To make a long story short, istead of fiddling with chipset versions and so on, I bought a Belkin USB 2.0 PCI card and all was resolved in a matter of minutes.

My Binatone modem has been working without fault for the past 3 months.
N/A

Thanks for all your replies,

I have just found out that my motherboard uses an intel 845 chipset not via.

So i'm still in the same situation. PlusNet were not able to offer me any real advice to help me solve the situation. So i'm having to use the Alcatel 500 USB Modem (the one that looks like a flat fish) and that works fine every time.

Personally, I think the modem is faulty.

Dan