cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Modem Suggestions

N/A

Modem Suggestions

Hi All

As they seem to be rather thin on the ground,I am wondering if anyone has any recommendations as to a good quality ethernet ADSL modem,especially if someone is using one;I would be interested in finding out their thoughts on the model they have as some that I have found seem to be for different markets other than the UK.

Thanks

I.J Jordan
13 REPLIES
Community Veteran

Modem Suggestions

Models vary in features - firewalls, vpn access, wireless networking etc so there is a lot of choice.
Netgear provide a decent range of routers, I use a netgear dg814, they don't make it any more as it's been superceded by the dg834 router, which is fine for normal home use - games, downloading, peer2peer, web access, working from home.

Chris
N/A

Modem Suggestions

Hi fa55dsl

Thanks for the reply,but it is a modem I am looking for,admitted it will be working in conjunction with a router.

I will explain my situation,which may clear up why I have made what appears to be a strange question given that most people (myself included at the moment) use a router/modem combined.

I am using a "Mac",and the stumbling block for me at the moment is getting "iChat" to video conference with AOL's Instant Messager.No matter what I do in the way of port forwarding etc it stops at the "Solwise SAR130" that Plusnet supplied me with.If I try via my built in dial up modem no problems other than it is very slow,so that sort of isolates where the problem lies.

A search of the "Apple" support site returns a list of routers which according to the site;and I quote

"The table below lists common household routers qualfied for use with iChat AV. No additional configuration or port forwarding is required."

But they are just that; routers and require an ethernet modem to work through.

While I am here there is one thing I have not tried because a) I don't fully understand it, and b) don't know how to do it assuming it can be done.and that is to put the computer into the DMZ,which if I understand correctly removes it from behind any NAT or firewall,Any help on that would be appreciated,as it would be worth a try before I spend what could be quite a large amount of money on router+modem.

Thanks again for the reply

I.J Jordan
Community Veteran

Modem Suggestions

So what you want is a modem to plug into an existing router? If so I can imagine this would be just as expensive as buying a new modem / router combined that would do what you want and you could sell your old one.
Or have I still got the wrong end of the stick?
N/A

Modem Suggestions

Basically, Apple are telling you need a modem/router than has no NAT or firewall, or to place the PC in DMZ to bypass NAT, to get iChat working.
NOT a very good idea.

Does the Mac OS and iChat support uPNP?? if so, choose a modem/router that supports uPnP, such as the Netgear DG834 (and others). UPnP configures the ports on the router automatically.
N/A

Modem Suggestions

Basically, Apple are telling you need a modem/router than has no NAT or firewall, or to place the PC in DMZ to bypass NAT, to get iChat working. NOT a very good idea.

I agree that would not be a good idea,and "Apple" are not suggesting that: in fact the list of routers that they give have some very impressive specifications as regards firewalls etc.The idea of putting the computer into the DMZ was mine purely to see if "iChat" worked then,before spending out a large chunk of money.As a matter of interest; you made mention of the "Netgear DG834",they do list a Netgear product namely the "Netgear RP614" which again is merely a router,and again requires the purchase of a separate modem.I am only guessing here,but my research would seem to indicate that the problem may lie in the way that a router handles "SPI",and I cannot find out if the SAR130 uses this or not,and if so how to dis-able it; if it possable to do so.

At the moment I do not know if the "Mac" OS or "iChat" support "uPNP" but it is certainly another avenue to explore....... thanks for the suggestion.

It is a very vexing problem,but I am learning a lot trying to solve it :-)

Thanks for the responses

I.J Jordan
Community Veteran

Modem Suggestions

The only Ethernet modem I am aware of which is still available is the D-Link DSL-300T. I think this is a replacenment for the now discontinued D-Link DSL-300G+. You may still be able to get hold of the old one but the new one should do the trick. It's around £50 which is a similar price to the all in one DG834 and related products.

Hence it's an expensive solution.

Ethernet only modems are very scarce since the all-in-one products were introduced.
N/A

Modem Suggestions

There is a thread on here somewhere about getting MSN messenger to work with the Solwise. The problem with MSN Messenger is similar to yours, video but no audio, or vice versa. It is all to do with port forwarding. Maybe it'll work for the Mac & iChat.
There are lots of links to ideas in this thread
http://portal.plus.net/central/forums/viewtopic.php?t=4768
zpeterk
Grafter

Modem Suggestions

I am using a D-Link DSL-300G+. and have had no problems what so ever.
N/A

Modem Suggestions

Another vote for the 300G+ used in conjunction with Netgear FVS318
Simon_M
Grafter

Modem Suggestions

My understanding is that iChat uses the SIP protocol, so you will need a router that allows you to open ports as described here or one that supports SIP automatically.

I use SIP clients extensively so I got myself an Intertex IX-66.
See Intertex and the excellent User forum

It is available with or without a built in ADSL modem. I would suggest the built in version & sell your existing one. I would take this route whichever router you end up with - there are a few ethernet modems about now, but they are not much cheaper than the combined modem/router options.
N/A

Modem Suggestions

I use SIP clients extensively so I got myself an Intertex IX-66.
See Intertex and the excellent User forum.

Thanks for the info, it is certainly an impressive bit of kit,but I think more technology than I will be able to find a use for at the moment;but do intend to keep it in mind.

At the moment I am investigating the D-Link range,and trying to find out if the specifications as regards set-up etc are the same for the "DI-604" which is a router only and the " DSL-G604T" which is a modem/router/wireless combination.My reason for the interest is because the "DI-604" is listed on the Apple support site as being one of the routers which in the words of Apple "
lists common household routers qualfied for use with iChat AV. No additional configuration or port forwarding is required."

But whether or not they are one and the same thing in a different configuration I do not know, and am in the process of trying to find out.

Also the D-Link support site as very clear and concise instruction on how to forward the required ports if it necessary. Again though that just applies to the "DI-604" router only, which is the main reason for my looking for an ethernet modem because then I knew if purchased the ""DI-604"+ a modem (although not the cheaper option) then at least I would have easy to follow instructions for forwarding the needed ports to get iChat working.

Thanks for the replies folks

Ian & Linda Jordan
N/A

Modem Suggestions

I would think that the 604 of any variant (router only, router & modem, etc) would have the same basic system and port forwarding capabilities and therefore should work as the apple site says.
N/A

Modem Suggestions

Hi All

A bit of progress has been made.I have found a list of all the ports that need to be open to enable me to use "iChat" with my sisters "AIM 5.5".However there are a couple of things I am stuck on as regards entering them into my "Solwise SAR130"

1) is there a rule of thumb as to which rule flavour one uses,the manual does not make it very clear to me.

2) the commplicated bit............ the list of ports from the Apple site is giving me trouble in how to enter the ports into the SAR130 set up,as I cannot work out how you differentiate when entering NAT rules between an incoming packet and an outgoing one.

For example the list under outgoing packets shows

Internal Source Port=16384-16403
External Destination Port=1024-65535

and practically reverse for Incoming Packets

External Source Port=1024-65535
Internal Destination Port=16384-16403

I maybe looking in the wrong place,but in the Nat rule entry page,I cannot find a reference to any internal or external source or destination ports.There are other ports that need to be opened,but they are single ports rather than a range of ports,and have to be set up one at a time I believe.

So I was wondering;before I dig into the wallet for the plastic,if I may impose on someone to put together a sample rule/s based on the outgoing packets so I can see what goes where; then I think I can manage the rest.

Dumb question time...... is it necessary to re-boot the router after entering NAT rules or will a submit/commit do it?

Ian & Linda Jordan