cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Modem Router reset & MaxDSL

N/A

I received a message from PlusNet saying that my regrade was complete on 13/4/06. Unfortunately, I wasn't able to reset my router (Netgear DG814) until 21/4/06. I checked my download speed yesterday but it is no better then before the regrade. My upload speed on the other hand has almost doubled.

Any ideas?
11 REPLIES
oliverb
Grafter

Probably normal.

I gather the bandwidth is still restricted, and it takes some time for the system to acknowledge the faster ADSL connection and lift the restriction. What speed is your router reporting, mine reports 8M though my home connection still only gives 1.9M on speed test.
N/A

my router now syncs at 8M but ADLSguide's speedtest reports 1.8M so similar to yours.
Community Veteran

This will be due to the fault on the BRAS which is part of the BTw network, it is meant to change your connections profile to match the speed at which you sync at (the speed set on the BRAS is the speed at which you can download at) but unfortunatly for a lot of people it is not doing this for several days after your 10day trial period, even more annoying is that BTw don't seem in too much of a hurry to fix the problem, its a grin and bare it situation i'm afraid!
keithcalder
Grafter

Sync At 4832kbps, download speed = 2.5MB???

I've been on max dsl for 12 days now, my router has synced at various speeds from 4000 - 5100kbps but my download speed has never exceeded 2.6MB apart from the first day where it went at 4.5MB.

I haven't a clue whats going on here and cant understand why my speed is so slow.

Here are my current stats:
ADSL Firmware Version 4.01.02.00
Modem Status Connected
DownStream Connection Speed 4832 kbps
UpStream Connection Speed 448 kbps
VPI 0
VCI 38

Then the speedtest results:

Downstream 2,582.1 Kbps ( = 2.5 Mbps )
Upstream 378.3 Kbps ( = 0.4 Mbps )

My current connection has been up for 17.5 hrs and has not lost sync,

Has anyone any idea whats going on? Sad
N/A

Keith the initial tests stop after 10 days but then it can take a further 3 days for BT's BRA to initialize the correct speed.

Thats how I have read it anyway Smiley

Hope it all sorts itself out!
N/A

For what it's worth mine seems to have increased to somewhere between 3.8M and 4.5M now. The router seems to still be reliably synced at 8128000.
jagger
Grafter

So 10 days is now 13 days huh?

That's like, 10 Gb is the new 30 Gb.

How many goalposts are there and where have they been moved to...............

Blimey I've got my cynical head on today.Think I'll stop posting for a bit.

:idea:
N/A

I am just guessing. Depends on how the BRA profiling works and when it updates. But if its every 3 days then thats at day 9 and day 12 if there is a day 12.
Community Veteran

if you dont disconnect and reconnect once a day for the 1st 10 days or if you leave it disconnected for for more than a couple of days it will keep restarting the training. Also remember that any noticible change in your line quaility will change the speed when you connect, MaxDSL constantly adapts to give you the best possible speed, unfortunatly the problems at the BRAS prevent this from happening effectivly
Word_Warrior
Grafter

Yippee!!! ?????

:?
Just received the "important news about your broadband" email so came to the forum to see if anything new has happened. I noticed that somebody recommends switching off the router once a day during the set up ten days (10, 11,12,13, whatever) I don't usually switch off my router or computer. Should I really switch it off on a daily basis? For the record it is a Netgear DG 814 hooked up to a G4 imac, G4 powerbook and a HP Laserjet.
Can someone put me straight please.

P.S. My billing date is tomorrow 2nd May, any odds on me not getting MaxDSL, but then it does say "over the coming months" Wink
shellsong
Grafter

You might get MaxDSL by the end of the summer with a fair wind