cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Modem/Router help

N/A

Modem/Router help

Hi
I hope someone can help. I currently have conexant pci modem in pc running me, networked with pc running XP pro (cross-0ver). I am about to replace me pc so took pci out and put it in XP. Thats when the problems started - I can't get pci to install in XP, 'software not found', so the pci is back in me for now. The XP does not have a dial-up modem but the me does, would this make any difference? Any Ideas why it won't work in XP pc?

Second question, my son has a pc which I am considering networking in with my 2 - I know that cross-over is no good then but I am not sure what I will need, can anyone offer advice please? Also what is the best router and does each pc need a modem as well? :?
4 REPLIES
N/A

Modem/Router help

All you probaly need is the right drivers for Xp. If you want to add a third pc then a routers is the best way forward and you can now pick a 4 port router up on ebay for £40. You will then need straight cables.

Not a lot of point going into great detail with the modem if you go for the router
keithcalder
Grafter

Modem/Router help

I use Netgear router with wireless access point and wireless pci cards, you can buy them here, http://www.dslsource.co.uk , with these, you dont need any cables, and they are easy to set up. Smiley
N/A

Modem/Router help

Cheers guys,

So if I decide on a router, I just need the adsl modem/router - wireless or otherwise - and a network card in each pc, is that correct?
N/A

Modem/Router help

Sounds about right. Cheesy