cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Modem Reviews,i finaly got one that works properly,pls view

N/A

Okies now i have found my new modem,,i found one that works and it works good for my setup,,,,hope this little review type thing helps at least one person,,,,

okies here goes,,,sorry if you dont understand my writeings,

First modem i got 2 years ago

Dynalink 220,,,with Conextant Chipset PCI

worked for a long time until i upgraded to 2Meg Homeworker,,,then i started to get disconections,,,,but remember the modem was 2 years old and getting used everyday,,,

took some fiddleing with drivers and dialup thing to get working properly.....

i give this modem 7/10
...........................................................................................

Second Modem

3Com HomeConnect Dual Link USB+LAN

I got Windows XP and this modem doesnt have drivers

i couldnt realy test this modem without drivers,,,,
..............................................................................................

Third Modem

Intel Anypont DSL modem USB
Installed in seconds,,,worked straigt away,,,,,auto work mode is cool
Auto found it was PPPoA and not PPPoE
Auto found it was Gmt.d or whatever it is,,,,and not ANSI like my dynalink thougt it was

INTEL anypoint modem i give 10/10

this is a nice modem and is working good with my 2Mb line

chrisSmiley

Moderators note by Chris: Moved to a more suitable forum
1 REPLY
N/A

seem to be a lot of folk complaining about the binatone modems atm,i've never set one up so cant really comment on it,but it beats me as to why anyone would want a usb modem.i have first used a pci dsl modem and found it first class,as a hardended gamer it is without doubt first choice for pings,but now having built another pc have went for a router and found it dead easy to configure,though very slightly worse for pings than a pci modem.if you have a spare pci slot go down that route,or multiple pc's then go for a router with built in dsl modem,with broadband being a lot more available now any good pc shop should be able to supply and fit and configure any piece of dsl kit for you for a very small fitting fee.3rd choice would be a usb modem though the fact that it virtually ties up 1 usb port permantently,is a drain on mobo resources and is probably the slowest link of the three options available between modem and pc isnt a very endearing factor.

pci modem for
fastest link between phone line and mobo
requires no extra cables hanging around
against
can be daunting for a novice to fit
can be awkward to configure

router for
generally easy to configure/set up
has advantage of providing a natural firewall
allows for mulitple pc's to connect
against
will need either a network card or onboard lan connection