cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Modem Reccomendations

N/A

Modem Reccomendations

Cheesy Hi all, right im after a new modem to upgarde from my rubbish old 105 voyager, im not after wireless as i dont need it, im looking for something that can handle the 8mb speeds and that is reliable and also not to expensive either, any help is much appreciated, thx all Cheesy .

[Moderator's note by Daniel (no7olivier): Changed title from all caps as per the link:rules.]
11 REPLIES
Community Veteran

Modem Reccomendations

The NetGear DG834 should suit you fine - I have the wireless version and it's very good...
Community Veteran
Fixes: 54

Modem Reccomendations

Have a look at the Speedtouch 516 if you have a network card or the 536 which has a usb port as well as a network connector
Very good on long lines as it can be easily tweaked
N/A

Modem Reccomendations

Cheesy Thx guys Cheesy
ady
Grafter

Modem Reccomendations

i swapped from voyager 105, to safecom gart 4115, and i got + 0.5mb to my sync, which was previously 1.6mb line Cheesy
namtab
Grafter

Modem Reccomendations

Cheesy NetGear DG834
N/A

Modem Reccomendations

Hi I assume the Gart2 4112 is the one i'm looking at from ebuyer Huh
Extra Value 2 Port ADSL and ADSL2/2+ Modem Router with SPI Firewall

looks really good for the money £14.99 inc VAT
the reviews look tops on their website as well.

does anyone else have any comments on this before I order one Huh
I just want a modem that works via ethernet rather than USB as I'm sure using USB is screwing with my sync speed as my PC gets switched on and off quite a few times throughout the day.
I want a modem that remains connected until I decide to stop the connection.
thanks guys.....Dean
N/A

Modem Reccomendations

same model im using atm by the look of it SWART2-54125

flawless performance so far and feature rich[/url]
N/A

Modem Reccomendations

Hi Got my modem today, is there anything I need to change on the setup or do I just do a straight set as a BT line to get connected.

I tried today and it said connected but my IE would not load any pages up.
do I need to change anything in IE to get this connection up and running Huh
also I noticed in the mode page on the router it was set as Mmode I think, whereas my old usb modem was set up as G.Lite I think.
thanks buddy.

Moderators note by John (johnessex) Full quote of preceding post removed as per the Link:rules
N/A

Modem Reccomendations

thx all much appreciated Cheesy
N/A

Modem Reccomendations

Hi
I am also having problems with my connection. I have only USB 1.1 ports and, assuming that this was why I connected but didn't get any web pages (or emails) is that the speeds were incompatible. I purchased a pcmcia card with 2 x USB 2.0 ports but, as soon as I connect the modem (from Plusnet) then the entire computer goes into freeze mode.

I have just posted a question to Plusnet and await their response.

Would I be better off getting a slower modem or investigate other solutions?

All help gratefully received. :shock:

Hi Got my modem today, is there anything I need to change on the setup or do I just do a straight set as a BT line to get connected.

I tried today and it said connected but my IE would not load any pages up.
do I need to change anything in IE to get this connection up and running Huh
also I noticed in the mode page on the router it was set as Mmode I think, whereas my old usb modem was set up as G.Lite I think.
thanks buddy.

Moderators note by John (johnessex) Full quote of preceding post removed as per the <a href=http://portal.plus.net/central/forums/viewtopic.php?t=35201>Forum Rules</a href>
N/A

Modem Reccomendations

Hi Gillb.

I don't think USB 1.1 will help really (don't know for sure just guessing).

I sent my router back as faulty and received another today, which I am using now as I type.

this one set up no probs at all, upped my sync rate as well to just over 6000kbps.. Cheesy

Have you got a network port on the back of your PC ??
if so I would highly recomend going the ethernet router method.
you will def. get a better connection.
I only paid £15 for this one brand new and its tops.(now it works I might add)
stays connected even when my PC is off so no chance of dropping my sync rate.

seriously check for a port to connect one to, failing that get a network card and buy one of these to go with it.
you should get sorted for £20ish all in.
hope this helps...Dean