cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Modem Question

N/A

Modem Question

Hello, i'm thinking of buying an ADSL modem today (Saturday) i was thinking about the Fujitsu FDX-310 or the The Zoom Hayes ADSL USB, then i saw that there are Ethernet adsl modem's available how do they compare with USB or PCI modems. Do any of you use the two modems i mention first & can help me decide. Thanks
6 REPLIES
N/A

Modem Question

Can't comment on specific models you mentioned.. General consensus though seems to be:

External router/modem - All power external to PC - Need ethernet card/port in your PC('s). No device drivers required on PC('s) for router/modem.
PCI modem - Draws power via motherboard
USB modem - (Some) Draws power via USB - Not all motherboards can live up to power requirements via USB

Obviously, for all of the above, there will be folks perfectly happy... My preferance is for external.

Happy shopping.
N/A

Modem Question

A Router is a external dedicated, self-xcontained device

It does all the work for you, as it containes its own small scale CPU.

USB devices do not just draw there power from the PC, but also there processor. Like most USB devices, they are media converters. They turn phone line signals into a way the PC can handle it. The CPU in the PC then coverts this signal into normal data.

PCI devices are the same. However, the power draw is more direct from the PSU (better than USB), however, these are again, media converters, and work simalar to win modems, uising the PC to process most data.

Ethernet versions are much more scalable. You can continue to add more and more devices to your network, with very little cost (network cards come built into most systems, or quality cards can be picked up for £17).
N/A

Modem Question

Thanks for the replies theres a reason i dont want to go the Router way & thats because i play Links 2003 golf sim online a lot & the guys that have routers come across so many problems trying to play online it isnt something i'd consider. Its seems to be a problem with the game unfortunately. I dont know any members of our club that play through an ADSL Ethernet card though so dont really know much about them. But if it wasnt for the problem Links 2003 has with routers i would get one many thanks again. So if i can assume that the preffered order of modems would be
1st Ethernet
2nd PCI
3rd USB
N/A

Modem Question

If you are going the USB or PCI route then, I advise reading the reviews over at ADSL Guide.

They tell you plain and simple, how hard they are to operate.
N/A

Modem Question

Hi acarr, i was editing my post when you answered it i think. Are Ethernet better than USB or PCI in your opinion thanks for your time .
N/A

Modem Question

As your noted in your edit.

The order of devices you gave, would be the performance, though some devices perform better than others.

Yes, ethernet if far better, as scalability is far simpler and broad.

However, as you noted, games can sometimes be a pain with routers. Having helped sombody in the past with that very game, it is indeed due to the games design.

In normal circumstances, games will use the IP address of the originating packet. However, that game uses a IP sent by the game itself, which is the wrong one (only in ethernet use).

Again, I sugest viewing the ADSL Guide reviews for quality PCI and USB modems.