cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Modem Or Router - Info Neded

N/A

Modem Or Router - Info Neded

Hi All,

I have just signed up to PNs wires only ADSL, the only thing left to do (Appart from waiting 10 days) is to buy a modem or router. Some help on this one would be appreciated.

System Spec:
Athlon 2000 XP,
192 Mb Ram,
Geforce 2 Graphics,
CD Writer
DVD

The Machine will be used mainly for

1 Playing Games (Quake 3 etc..)
2 Downloading Music/Video.
3 Testing Server Apps (I'm a Programmer)

I have been reading the other posts so please don't turn this into 'Don't bother with gaming 'cause the connection is crap' because if I find that out for myself, I will just go somewhere else (I signed up monthly).

Thanks in advance

Bill
13 REPLIES
N/A

RE: Modem Or Router - Info Neded

I'd suggest going with a router. AFAIK, they offer slightly better latency/speeds and are more reliable. This is because USB modems rely more on the CPU, which slows things a bit, aswell as making problems more likely. Routers dont cost that much more either.
N/A

I would go with a router as well as it gives you a NAT firewall and gives you the chance to expand in the future.

>
>
> Hi All,
>
> I have just signed up to PNs wires only ADSL, the only thing left to do (Appart from waiting 10 days) is to buy a modem or router. Some help on this one would be appreciated.
>
> System Spec:
> Athlon 2000 XP,
> 192 Mb Ram,
> Geforce 2 Graphics,
> CD Writer
> DVD
>
> The Machine will be used mainly for
>
> 1 Playing Games (Quake 3 etc..)
> 2 Downloading Music/Video.
> 3 Testing Server Apps (I'm a Programmer)
>
>
> I have been reading the other posts so please don't turn this into 'Don't bother with gaming 'cause the connection is crap' because if I find that out for myself, I will just go somewhere else (I signed up monthly).
>
> Thanks in advance
>
> Bill

N/A

RE: Modem Or Router - Info Needed

Another vote for the router option. Very easy to configure and set up (as most deal with the IP allocation through DHCP) and there's no worrying about USB driver or power supply issues (and you don't need a crossover cable to link the router and NIC in the P.C either). I haven't had any trouble with my DLink DSL 504 modem/router thus far, so I'd happily recommend it.

GM
N/A

If you use H323 protocol (netmeeting) don't get an Alcatel AR11!!!
--
(OO)
N/A

Thanks for the Info so far, It looks like it will be a router, that way I could easily plug in a laptop or my PS2 if Sony ever get their act togeather.

any recomendations ? I need something easy to set up, reliable and not too expensive ?

Bill
mike001
Grafter

>
> Thanks for the Info so far, It looks like it will be a router, that way I could easily plug in a laptop or my PS2 if Sony ever get their act togeather.
>
> any recomendations ? I need something easy to set up, reliable and not too expensive ?
>
>
> Bill
>

Just make shore it is a modem router and not just a router...I have a frend that made that mistake :-P
N/A

One note if you use a router . Setting a prop for a game becomes far harder than with a modem, has your computer ip will be different to that on the net. You will be only be able to join other peoples games them not yours without opening ports on your router which i have had on small sucess in doing.
mike001
Grafter

> One note if you use a router . Setting a prop for a game becomes far harder than with a modem, has your computer ip will be different to that on the net. You will be only be able to join other peoples games them not yours without opening ports on your router which i have had on small sucess in doing.

Um sorry but what is hard about setting a port
I go to portfowding on the modemrouter and enter the PC lan IP
and what port the game needs and the modemrouter dose the rest
Thats not hard is it!
what I was trying to point out was...that a router willnot connect to ADSL....but a router with a bilt in modem will

N/A

> Bill

A place to start looking is dslsource.co.uk, I bought a SpeedTouch 510 v.4 modem router from them. It was delivered in 2 days, and I have had no problems with the router. Also dslsource have a sale on at the moment with some good bargains.

Phil

>
> Hi All,
>
> I have just signed up to PNs wires only ADSL, the only thing left to do (Appart from waiting 10 days) is to buy a modem or router. Some help on this one would be appreciated.
>
> System Spec:
> Athlon 2000 XP,
> 192 Mb Ram,
> Geforce 2 Graphics,
> CD Writer
> DVD
>
> The Machine will be used mainly for
>
> 1 Playing Games (Quake 3 etc..)
> 2 Downloading Music/Video.
> 3 Testing Server Apps (I'm a Programmer)
>
>
> I have been reading the other posts so please don't turn this into 'Don't bother with gaming 'cause the connection is crap' because if I find that out for myself, I will just go somewhere else (I signed up monthly).
>
> Thanks in advance
>
> Bill

N/A

> A place to start looking is dslsource.co.uk, I bought a SpeedTouch 510 v.4 modem router from

This router is on of the better consumer options on the market. I can reccomend dslsource!
N/A

> A place to start looking is dslsource.co.uk, I bought a SpeedTouch 510 v.4 modem router from them

..Absolutely.. have a look.. the 510 v4 comes with with inbuilt 4 port switch, config by web or telnet, has uPnP for XP.. etc etc has been great!, Dslsource as well.
N/A

Bonus,

Looks like it will be a 510 v4

I have just looked at dslsource's website ant they aren't far from my house so I can go and pick it up - no waiting (or paying) for delivery :-)

Bill
N/A

If you ever want more than 1 computer on your network, I'd go for the router. Not only is is slightly more secure than the modems (with NAT etc), you can also plug all your pcs into it without having to have a pc running to share the network.

Also, you might want to consider a wireless router (e.g. DI-713P), which I would get so i can surf the web from the bath ;-)
If you decided wireless was a good thing later, you'd want the ADSL router to plug a normal wireless switch into, you wouldn't be able to do this with a ADSL modem.