cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Modem Malarkey?

Community Veteran

Modem Malarkey?

I have been connected to Plusnet for about a month now on a 1.1mb line and generally have had around two or three dropped connections a day. Maybe that’s not dreadful but a little annoying if you are in the middle of an on line game.

The modem I use is a Speedtouch 330. Maybe that is the norm and I shouldn’t be complaining?

Anyway….. to see if I could get a more reliable connection I swapped in a BT Voyager 105 that I had previously been using at another location (not connecting to Plusnet) and getting no disconnects. To my utter disappointment I started getting disconnects every few minutes!

I installed the latest drivers, no change. Pretty much unusable. So I have had to swap back to the Speedtouch, my question is: Are there some settings that I need to change on a Voyager 105 to make it work well with Plusnet?
8 REPLIES
N/A

Modem Malarkey?

The modem should work with the default setting ok. The best move is to get a router as they are as little as £30. With a router you get the extra protection of NAT so you are more secure.

The main thing with a router is its not controlled by the pc so there are no drivers to worry about. Most problems with modems are software or drivers the other thing being USB means any other USB device could pull to much current and cause problems
Community Veteran

Modem Malarkey?

I take your point about a router although There are plenty of messages here from pople having trouble with routers as well as with modems.

I doubt that the problem is USB related. After all one of the modems works very well and both are USB.

Really I just want to solve the modem problem rather than throw money at it to buy a router.
N/A

Modem Malarkey?

Do you know what chipset you have in your machine, it's just that sometimes there is a power issue with USB modems.

As the modem draws it power from your machine, some machines cannot provide the current needed to power the modem and this causes slight power spikes to the modem, which result in disconnections.
I'm not 100% that it is this, but it's possible.

Routers are generally far better and there is no need for drivers, and they often self configure and normally provide more security. However I understand you point about wanting to get it working without resorting to spending extra money.

Are all your filters correctly placed, including sky if you have it.
Isitme
Grafter

Modem Malarkey?

Maybe you should make it clear that a router is essentially a network tool, it will not connect you to the internet, but to a cable or DSL modem. A modem/router is what would be required and with the advent of wireless, wired ones can be obtained quite cheaply, especiall on eBay.
Community Veteran

Modem Malarkey?

Ok.... I have thrown money at it. :shock:

Ordered a Netgear DG834G from amazon £64.41including a wireless adapter

That should mean I can connect my PC direct by cable and the kids(currently no connection) using the wireless adapter. So I guess that is a good cheap option to network up and connect.

Cheers for the feedback folks.
N/A

Modem Malarkey?

Maybe you should make it clear that a router is essentially a network tool, it will not connect you to the internet, but to a cable or DSL modem. A modem/router is what would be required

If you want to be technical about it, the term normally used is an ADSL Gateway but I'm sure in this case the point was understood.
N/A

Modem Malarkey?

I dont belived that this is a router or a modem problem. Ever since the BT whole sale page error problem that PLusnet had my connection has been infequently dropping. only think is this last week the drop outs have intensified. I was using a linksys wireless router but the drops were so frequesnt i had difficulty connecting to any web page i have now swapped back to my speedtouch 330 which hasnt seen use for years this has improved my connection 100% although in the last hour since making the change it has dropped out 8-9 times.
The best advise is to move ISP s there are too many people complaining in the forums about this same problem.
Community Veteran

Modem Malarkey?

Well it sounds like a hardware tollerance problem to me.. thus my original posting: Two USB modems both proven reliable in different loacations.. only one works reliably in this location.

In any even the "gateway" will give me a network connection that I didnt have before. So I will install that and then deal with whatever problems there are.