cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Modem Drivers for Windows XP 64

N/A

OK... now that Windows XP 64 bit edition is about to be released, I'm wanting to make full use of my AMD Athlon64 rig. My only problem is modem drivers. I am using the Binatone ADSL 500 USB modem which I've had since I registered with PlusNet. These drivers will not work on anything but a 32 bit OS. What's my solution? I guess I'm gonna have to buy myself a network card or something, as I can't see Binatone releasing drivers to support 64 bit XP. Any thoughts on this?
6 REPLIES
Community Veteran

Net card and router (netgear DG834). Win64 should support all the common net card chipsets so that is really your only way forward.

That is also a much better solution in the long run anyway.
N/A

Good one, Peter, I will look into this solution.
N/A

win64 does indeed support 32bit applications ,just as xp supports 16bit ones.

so there shouldn't be any problem whatsoever with drivers
Community Veteran

While I would agree in principle, often drivers are not written very well and fall foul of compatibility issues between the 32bt & 64bit OSs driver interfaces. There have been many cases where drivers worked on Win98 but not on 98SE which are supposed to use the same driver interfaces.

Also Win64's 32bit interfaces are not 100% compatible to the 32bit OSs we use now so drivers do tend to break or fail to install properly.

Using network cards and an external router reduces the likelyhood of any problems both now and in the future.
N/A

win64 does indeed support 32bit applications ,just as xp supports 16bit ones.

so there shouldn't be any problem whatsoever with drivers

Unfortunately this is not true for device drivers, Windows XP Pro x64 edition requires true 64-bit drivers, it cannot emulate them with WOW - It won't accept anything other than a 64-bit driver. I've been running the RTM version of x64 for 3 weeks and for most stuff such as my nVidia graphics card, and creative sound card drivers are available.

Don't hold your breath though it may take a few months for developers to release stable 64-bit drivers.
N/A

I don't think the current drivers will work on the final Windows XP 64, that's if the beta's are anything to go by. I tested the drivers on a version of XP 64 which I installed to a spare partition, and the drivers wouldn't work. This is the only thing that's stopping me from running a 64 bit system, so if there are no signs of support within a few months of release it looks like I'll go with Pete's suggestion. I have sent a few e-mails back and forth to Binatone, and it looks semi-promising, but no solid info yet.